Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Warren County, NJ  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Erick

• New Bee
Warren County, NJ
« on: February 25, 2009, 10:13:40 am »
Hello.

I'm Erick.

I'm from Warren County, NJ.

I am completely new to beekeeping.  I haven't even started yet.

I have spent years reading and investigating on and off and I am now ready to give it a try.

I would welcome any and all suggestions.

Taking the first step with regards to anyting new is always the hardest.

I hope that I have not procrastinated too long to not being ables to start up this year.

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
Re: Warren County, NJ
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:33:15 pm »
Should still be O.K. with time.  Best advice anyone can give you is to find a mentor and join a local club I think.  Good luck in your adventures and welcome aboard!

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 12:53:42 pm »
Welcome. You need to check out www.njbeekeeeprs.org for information about your local branch of NJBA and they are also offering in conjunction with Rutgers, a newbie course. The April one is sold out, but the one in may is available. I am also hosting a statewide meeting on 6/6/09 in Medford NJ. Its focus will be for beginners. Look under calander section of web site for additional info
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 01:46:50 pm »
Konasdad:

I was looking under the link section of the NJBA and didn't see Beemaster forums there, I was wondering how much pull you might have - I think we all agree it is a great resource (not patting my own back here) and being from NJ it is a local site that I would hope could be put on that page. I was going to Email them, but thought I'd check with you first on this one :)  also, I'll be sending you a pm today or tomorrow, please look for it - John.

And Erick:

It surely isn't late to get started in the LEARNING PROCESS for this season, although you need to get the basics down quickly to get ordering stuff to take advantage of the Sprinf Pollen and Nectar flows for a new colony.

The best way to use the forum here is probably in this order:

1) ask any questions in post form as they come to you - you'll get lots of replies, as with anything in life use the ones that make the most sense for your style of beekeeping as it evolves.

2) use the search feature ( upper right corner of every page you'll see SEARCH box) use to this to find older posts covering the same and other topics in greater detail - there is 4 plus years of posts accessable there, surely any topic you have should be listed there and you can learn a lot from others messages, often reading followup posts to see how members made out on any given topic.

3) we have a builtin text chat now at the top of the main forum page, a full version of the same chat is accessable by clicking the chat tab on the toolbar in the forum where you see the word HOME on the left and LOGOUT on the far right below the search box - click on the CHAT button to open the full Ajax Text chat.

4) and this I mention with the hope you  use this feature, it gives you the most bang for your learning time - go to the VOICE CHAT FORUM on main page, follow the instructions and download the small but poewerful Ventrilo voice software, in minutes you can talk to many members, many who are commercial and larger scale beekeepers as well as many backyard beekeepers like myself, using all voice and also text if you chose to communicate with those on line. This full voice chat program allows fast Q&As with people who can reply and brainstorm as fast as you need an answer.

BUT no matter which options you choose (and I hope you use them all) try navagating around the forum, read everything you can about starting up, interact with the members who combined have thousands of years experience and learn what ever you feel you need to know.

Don't ever be affraid to ask a question because it may seem like a silly question, no one here is ever left out to dry, our members (no matter where they are in the level of beekeeping) are there to help the newest of the new members. Please take advantage of all the opertunities you have here and I promise you will be a beekeeper who is comfortable handling, raising and Wintering bees in no time.

Also, if you haven't seen any of these, please go to youtube to see my videos and any video that cover beekeeping - you will see many styles - again the trick is to find what you believe you will be comfortable with. Sometimes there are no corners to cut - beekeeping can be a frustrating hobby when all goes wrong, it is our passion here to see the least harm is ever done to you or your bees. My video can be accessed here www.youtube.com/njbeemaster - enjoy them, some are not beekeeping but member related meetings, so you get instruction and meet some of your fellow members.

Welcome to one of the larger clubs online that focus on beekeeping, but you will soon find out that friendships and good times are also here awaiting you, our site is a special place in cyber space, it has formed through the imput of the members, most of the topics have been member recommended and as we continue to grow, our group has increased dramatically in resent months - with it, a greater pool of knowledge has stepped into Beemaster Forums.

Get to work, Spring is coming - I wish you the best and know you will do great if you make use of all that our members are ready to share with your from their experiences.

P.S. we have several members from Warren, I know CWBees and recently saw two others join in that same area - I'm about 50 miles south in Manchester (near Toms River) Ocean Counties Seat.

Respectfully

John

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 03:25:48 pm »
Konasdad:

I was looking under the link section of the NJBA and didn't see Beemaster forums there, I was wondering how much pull you might have - I think we all agree it is a great resource (not patting my own back here) and being from NJ it is a local site that I would hope could be put on that page. I was going to Email them, but thought I'd check with you first on this one :)  also, I'll be sending you a pm today or tomorrow, please look for it - John.

BM- it would be my pleasure to ask them! It was and is a geat resource for me and I know it will help other newcomers for years to come!!!!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 05:48:15 pm »
Hello and Welcome Erick
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 11:12:34 pm »
Erick, welcome to our forum, so great that you found us.  You have an interest in the honeybee.  You ain't seen nuthin' yet.  Wait until you order your package/nucs, whichever you chose and you then have to wait for them. Eeeks!!!  That is a hard thing to do, the excitement is beyond your belief.

Our forum will be a place where you can lean on us to help you.  Ask your questions, tell your stories, tales and experiences.  We all love to listen and we all love to help that new beekeeper.  Have a most wonderful and awesomely great life, day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service