Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Solid food warning  (Read 1591 times)

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
Solid food warning
« on: January 04, 2009, 03:52:23 pm »
I came across a recipe for winter food that was 1 cup of corn syrup to 7.5 cups of powdered sugar. Seemed to work pretty well. Was 60 degrees today so I did a quick inspection and found lots of trouble. The corn syrup had leaked out and caused a big mess and lots of bee death. I suppose it was the heat from inside the hive. Hive has survived but has lost probably 1000 bees.

The full story and picture is here: http://www.johncall.com/blog/inspection-010409/
--------------
www.johncall.com - adventures in woodcarving and country life.

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
Re: Solid food warning
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 07:03:50 pm »
Corn syrup isn't very good for the Bees. I'd be afraid to stress them more this time of year than they are already, but then your further south than I am.

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 08:31:32 pm »
I've been nursing a very small hive this winter. When it warms up I take the top off and pour honey on top of the frames. I aso put some out for the foregers so other hives can have something to put up. I a'm also going to do some bee lining and it gives me the direction I need to start from.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 09:18:19 pm »
When making a type of fondant the use of corn syrup is common.  The formula I use is 8 ounces of corn syrup, 1 lb of powdered sugar and then mixing in granulated sugar until stiff, you can also mix in some pollen if you like.  In  that mix you are giving the bees fractose, frutose, and glucose. 
Since feeding sugar or fondant is more the exception than the rule using a little corn syrup is okay.  I agree that a steady diet of the stuff isn't so good for the bees.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!