Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: best time of day/temperature for working on the tbh - newbie  (Read 3377 times)

Offline McGoo

• New Bee
I've got the bees and the queen has been released and it appears that they're doing things right, but not totally sure.  I want to go in and see what's happening, give them some new sugar water, etc., but don't know when to do it.  Today is gonna be about 95 and tomorrow 85.  I thought that I read not to bother them on hot days. 

does it make more sense to go into the hive in the late afternoon? 

Thanks,
Colleen

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: best time of day/temperature for working on the tbh - newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 01:52:06 pm »
if it were going to be that hot here, i'd go in in the morning for my own sake.  i like to get in when it's warm enough for the foragers to be out and not so warm that i cook in my jacket.  any temp over 50, and dry,  will do for me.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline DavesBees

• House Bee
    • Dave's Bees
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 11:02:08 pm »
Here is something else to think about.  You can go in the hive while it is hot if you don’t need to disturb the comb much.  The new comb will be like butter and is very prone to collapse; especially if you lift it into the hot sun to look at it.  One wrong move and you’ll have a comb full of nectar on your feet.  I usually like going in by noon on hot days to avoid the hottest part of the day.  You can add top bars to the ends anytime you want.  Depending how your feeder is set up you can do that any time you please as well.  I really don’t like messing with the comb when it is 90 degrees and sunny.   
Dave - PM me if you are interseted in natural beekeeping in Hancock County Maine.
http://www.davesbees.com

Offline Buz Green

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 11:23:45 pm »
someone said "don't go into a hive in any weather that you wouldn't let somebody open up your house to put a new roof on it".

Makes sense to me so that's the way I do it.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said I meant but what you heard is not what I said.

www.greenbeecompany.com

bigbearomaha

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 07:55:35 am »
There are those who advocate going into a hive on a nice warm sunny day as the expectation is many of the bees will be gone foraging, leaving easier to work with house bees still around.

Others suggest nice, sunny days, but early in the day so the cooler temps don't melt comb and the cooler temp s keep the bees a bit 'sluggish'  or less active.

overcast and gray days are not usually recommended because more bees are home and have nothing better to do than wait for a beek to come peeking.

Big Bear

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
    • Honeybees and Beekeeping
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 02:49:17 pm »
I go in my TBH's in any weather but cold and rain.