Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: BE careful on table saw (pic)  (Read 4733 times)

Offline Titus

• House Bee
BE careful on table saw (pic)
« on: March 24, 2010, 12:45:34 pm »
Could have been worse...  Making a slatted board on table saw, when a small piece got pinched between blade and fence, kicked out and somehow threw my finger against the blade.  Only the finger nail got cut off, thank God!

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Re: BE careful on table saw (pic)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:04:53 pm »
That hurts just seeing it.   Glad it wasn't worse.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Pillpeddler

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 03:06:36 pm »
Been there, done that ( or really similar ).  Got 2 words for ya.  Push-stick, featherboard.  Or is that 3 or 4  words.  Anyway, they keep me from dripping vital fluids on my garage floor and the Missuz from being all freaked out. ;)

Pill

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 03:11:54 pm »
Ouch!  I had a similar situation but the blade only took the callus off of my thumb.  Now, I use a push stick and really watch that blade!   :shock:
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 04:15:42 pm »
ow ow ow ow ow!!!
Rick

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 05:02:08 pm »
Sorry to read (and see) your injury. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

My brother-in-law ran the tip of his thumb across a planer. He has a perfectly flat thumb tip now.

Hope the finger doesn't throb too much and you can sleep well at night.

Regards,
Tucker1
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 09:00:58 pm »
THIS is the saw you need

NI Week Sawstop Demo

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 10:32:54 pm »
You lucky dog.  Count your blessings.  1, 2, 3, 4,..............

The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 11:17:35 pm »
ouch, yes you do need a feather board , the video is very impressive, supprised that doesnt come as standard with all table saws now.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 11:48:29 pm »
Wow!!!! Awesome that you thought of getting the picture before it started throbbing!

your friend,
john

Offline Titus

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 10:27:14 am »
thanks guys, I got the featherboard yesterday and finished the box.  featherboard makes a big difference!
I believe the nail will grow back. 
No matter how careful you are, if hands are close to the blade when wood kicks back hard, anything can happen.  It happened so fast, I dont know exactly how my finger hit the blade. I thought at first that only the wood kicked back and hit my finger, then I saw the RED. 
I just hope the bees appreciate what went in to making their slatted board :-D

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 10:52:13 am »
Use all safety devices and maintain good balance when using any power tool.  :)doak

Offline Pillpeddler

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 08:09:11 pm »
It doesn't look like you got into the nail bed at the base of the nail, you should have a brand new nail in, oh 3 or 4 months.  So far I'v "only" taken out the tip of a thumb and a postage stamp sized chunk'o'ME on a wrist ( that takes about 6 months to fill back in ).  The Good Lord has blessed me so far in that I've just had educational experiences and no medical emergencies.  Most woodworking books I've seen rate the tablesaw as the most dangerous of the power tools.  Watch yourself, hard to be a 1 handed beekeeper.

Pill

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 08:01:34 pm »
I have a mate who has only seven fingers and half a thumb because he thought it could only happen once. He was very very wrong because a couple of years later he put his hand too close to the saw whilst manipulating some smallish timber cuts.  I use a bit of stick always. I used to be be bit slack until seen his hand after the first episode. My wife would get very angry if I made a mess of the floor with my blood let alone not be able to work while recovering. It did not take much skill on my part to learn how to use a push stick. In fact I have made a couple for different little and big jobs in the shed.

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 02:23:02 pm »
Sorry about the injury....I did the exact same thing when I was a teenager (cutting box joints for bee hives no less)....I am much more careful around sawblades now and try to use a push block whenever possible to keep my fingers away from the blade.
-Mike

bigbearomaha

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 09:13:24 pm »
not trying to sound unsympathetic here.   Ihave worked with saws and wood for many years, seen many folks lose parts by rushing or not being careful enough.

some words of advice to anyone using any type of power saw...

NEVER trust a power saw. NEVER, EVER.

treat a power saw the way you would a pet crocodile. be wary and use every safety gadget that you can.  even if it is "just a quick cut'.

not only do  I use push sticks and boards my saws don't even get plugged in unless they are actively being used.  That way no "oops, I forgot that was on" accidents happen.

gotta be careful out there.

Big Bear

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 08:58:53 am »
not only do  I use push sticks and boards my saws don't even get plugged in unless they are actively being used.  That way no "oops, I forgot that was on" accidents happen.

gotta be careful out there.

Big Bear
Yeah, for me it is so one of my boys doesn't try something.  Not that they don't know how to plug them in if they wanted, but they have a habit of just pressing random buttons to see what happens....
Rick