Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees and roses  (Read 4384 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
Bees and roses
« on: December 30, 2008, 08:16:04 pm »
Today I ran in to someone who is thinking of beginning a beekeeping addiction, er, hobby ;).  I offered my help, but their main concern was their roses.  They have lots of them and use Seven dust on them.  I think I have read that Seven is pretty bad for bees and that they gather it like pollen.  I really did not think honey bees went to roses.  So, I don't know exactly what they are dusting roses for, but surely there must be other more bee friendly products available.  Anybody do roses and bees in the same area?  What do you use on the roses?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Bees and roses
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 09:02:16 pm »
my husband is the rose keeper.  he has always used a systemic insecticide/fungicide.  i was worried about it, but have very rarely found bees in the roses.  they are more often killed by getting caught in the spider webs around the roses.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 10:33:07 pm »
I don't believe there's a reason for a honeybee to visit a rose, not enough going on there.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 11:14:09 pm »
I don't believe there's a reason for a honeybee to visit a rose, not enough going on there.

...JP

A lot of smell and little or no food, possibly a pollen source if a dearth but leave 'em to the bumbles.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline pembroke

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 10:48:24 am »
I also use systemic (Bayer I believe) for roses. Have hives here at house and haven't seen bees on roses yet. Pembroke

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 11:03:52 am »
Are there no natural applications to take the place of systemic products? What exactly are you treating for?
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 01:18:17 pm »
Bjorn, I use dish soap & water spray for aphids when I don't have a hatch of small Mantis.  It rains so much here that it gets washed off fairly quickly.  Also Diatom earth around the base if the plants for crawlies & slugs.  Most of the time I don't have too much of a problem.  Then again, I don't show my roses, just bring some in for bouquets!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 01:46:30 pm »
insects and fungus.  with our weather and his time constraints, it is the most cost and time effective.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 02:16:42 pm »
insects and fungus.  with our weather and his time constraints, it is the most cost and time effective.

Seems I hear that from just about everyone, from apple growers to lawn care professionals. Whatever is cheap, fast, and effective. Rarely does one include "safe".....  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 02:42:52 pm »
we do what we have to do.  cheap, fast, and effective, has it's place.  especially where ones livelyhood is at stake.  we all would go green if it were profitable.  ask the auto industry.

Offline jojoroxx

• House Bee
  • Northern California Nature Girl
    • SoHumMushers
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 04:21:51 pm »
Bees will forage and seem to enjoy quite a lot the SINGLE ROSES. Your classic long stem double beauties have nothing to offer them, but single roses are open and loaded with a wonderful pollen and perhaps even some nectar, because, in my experience, even when the clover was full-on they still would seek out the few heirloom (single) roses we have. Single blooming flowers (over their hybred "double" cousins) are recommended in most standard bee forage lists.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 05:37:30 pm »
we do what we have to do.  cheap, fast, and effective, has it's place.  especially where ones livelyhood is at stake.  we all would go green if it were profitable.  ask the auto industry.

I really need an icon showing me biting the crap out of my lip while another is standing over me with a big stick getting ready to smack the crap out of me.

Let it go....let it go.....let it go..... 8-)    :-*
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 05:40:31 pm »
don't bite your lip.  that will hurt.  take your best shot, but we'd better move it down to the coffee house  :-)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 05:49:14 pm »
don't bite your lip.  that will hurt.  take your best shot, but we'd better move it down to the coffee house  :-)

No need to move it Kathy. Although you lurked out here for some time waiting for my response.... :lol:  Don't lie...you knew it was coming.... :-* 

I actually typed out three different responses, and just settled for a gentle bump instead of my normal smack in the face. I'm trying to see things as others do, and not just my own view. And I have no idea what goes into roses and marketing, etc. So, perhaps I'm not the one to pick a fight.... ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 07:44:43 pm »
but single roses are open and loaded with a wonderful pollen and perhaps even some nectar, because, in my experience, even when the clover was full-on they still would seek out the few heirloom (single) roses we have.

I'm certainly no botanist, but I don't think roses even have the necessary structures to produce nectar.  The book "Honey Plants of North America" lists roses in the section on plants which produce pollen only.  I have heard of people seeing hummingbirds drink rainwater that had collected on the leaves and petals of roses though.  Maybe bees have been observed doing this also and it has given rise to the impression that they are getting more than just pollen from them.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 08:02:39 pm »
i'm not much of a lurker, but i do have a habit of forgetting to close tabs.....

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 11:42:41 pm »
    I have a fifty plus year old rose bush that gets a lot of honeybee attention throughout the year.  There is also a garden near by that has Knockout Roses and they are covered also.  If lack of water is too severe they get some attention.  But a day or two after a good soaking rain they are again covered.

I have plenty of ladybugs and about every couple years praying mantis show up and keep things pretty mellow.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 01:34:40 pm »
Bees will forage and seem to enjoy quite a lot the SINGLE ROSES. Your classic long stem double beauties have nothing to offer them, but single roses are open and loaded with a wonderful pollen and perhaps even some nectar, because, in my experience, even when the clover was full-on they still would seek out the few heirloom (single) roses we have. Single blooming flowers (over their hybred "double" cousins) are recommended in most standard bee forage lists.

That seems true also with the single, open faced dahlias.  I planted many seeds this year that I got from DayValleyDahlias here on our forum.  The bees loved the open faced, single dahlias, on them all the time.  Beautiful day, great life and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service