Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pa's own Statue of Liberty  (Read 6739 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Pa's own Statue of Liberty
« on: January 20, 2007, 09:20:46 pm »

Sorry about quality, photo was taken at highway speed!

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
Re: Pa's own Statue of Liberty
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 09:33:07 pm »
I couldn't tell it was takin at 60 mph
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 12:09:06 pm »
That's along US 322 coming north/west out of Harrisburg, right?  I always wondered what the story was behind that . . .

-- Kris

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 12:43:29 pm »
I'm not sure of the story,
Heres what I found on the net
A 25 ft (7.6 m) tall replica sits on an abandoned Susquehanna River railroad bridge platform in the Dauphin Narrows of Susquehanna River at Harrisburg. The replica was built by a local activist Gene Stilp on July 2, 1986; it was made of venetian blinds and stood 18 feet (5.5 m) tall. Six years later, after it was destroyed in a windstorm, it was rebuilt by Stilp and other local citizens, of wood, metal, glass and fiberglass, to a height of 25 feet.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 02:17:14 pm by buzzbee »

IndianaBrown

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 02:36:08 pm »
I thought maybe it was one of these:
http://www.americanprofile.com/article/3455.html
There are at least 2 in western Pennsylvania that I know of.

Offline mabuzzbee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 03:15:51 pm »
Here's a few things I found on the net.

It looks like it has been up for 20 years, it is called "The Dauphin Narrows Statue of Liberty", placed by  Gene Stilp, it's initial appearance caused more than just a stir, auto accidents were common as people were shocked to see Lady Liberty on the old bridge structure, and last year Dauphin County actually declared July 12,2006 as Lady Liberty Forever Day in recognition of the statue's 20th anniversary. 

The creator Gene Stilp is a nationally known activist on behalf of environmental, energy and consumer causes. Tilp's more memorable publicity stunts include a giant inflatable slot machine to oppose plans to legalize slots at the state's racetracks. To protest President Bush's clean-air policies, he created a pair of 17-foot coal-fired power plants, attached by Velcro to a replica of the White House. Stilp wrote and recorded the "Tom Ridge Liquor Plan Polka" to protest the then-governor's plan to privatize the state's retail liquor business. He assembled a 30-foot ear of corn with milk-jug kernels for a 1999 Food and Drug Administration hearing on genetically modified crops. And he towed a giant smoking toaster - a converted 1963 Airstream trailer - to the Capitol in 1998 to oppose a bill favorable to the nuclear-power industry.

I am nobody.  Nobody is perfect.  Therefore, I am perfect.

anything