Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do you frame up honey comb when you do a cut out?  (Read 4436 times)

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
Do you frame up honey comb when you do a cut out?
« on: August 03, 2008, 03:01:00 pm »
I have been noticing that bringing back new cut-out hives where I have left the honey for the bees sets off robbing every time.  I don't like to take their stores this late in the year, but maybe it would be better just to feed them.

Do you leave them honey, or just brood?

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: Do you frame up honey comb when you do a cut out?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 05:14:35 pm »
I never strap in honey comb, just brood. I usually leave the bucket full of honey comb some distance from the hives, and let them all rob it clean. You will probably need to feed your cutouts at this time of year so they're strong enough to survive the winter.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 09:44:05 pm »
I only do brood.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 11:43:01 pm »
I like to add some honeycomb for feed as long as its not oozing any honey to make matters sticky. This late in the season they need the resources and I can't get to my beeyard as often as I would like to keep a new colony well fed. If they don't have any honey stores, I babysit and feed them, then bring them to my main beeyard.

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 08:00:26 am »
Sometimes you get some backfilled old brood comb that is tough enough to cut out and tie in without it falling apart.  I sometimes put some of that in.  But any new white wax with honey it it is hopeless.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 09:22:05 am »
Sometimes you get some backfilled old brood comb that is tough enough to cut out and tie in without it falling apart.  I sometimes put some of that in.  But any new white wax with honey it it is hopeless.

That's why removing very young colonies is such a chore due to the white soft combs, once detached they usually fall apart in your hands because they are so top heavy, the ones that have a little age to them make life a lot more agreeable.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 11:40:30 am »
If it falls apart easily, I dont. Recently, I have been immediately melting and seperating my cutout wax and honey and selling it. I sell it as wild bee honey and people just love the idea. You must seperate very quickly, or it will ferment in the buckets. I feed back to the bees anything questionable or anything I dont seperate w/in one day as a precation.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 01:00:43 pm »
sometimes some gets in there, but it's usually messy.  i do feed them when i get them home, and keep feeding until i see that they are bringing in lots of stuff. 

the first one i did this year gave me abut 45 lbs of honey.  it was two hives in one building.  one has done really well and the other has been maintaining, but not as great.  who knows why.....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.