Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: drawn out comb  (Read 1601 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
drawn out comb
« on: April 14, 2008, 09:40:02 am »
Last weekend I bought 4 deep boxes of drawn comb from A elderly gent with 35+ years exper.  I told me he has only had AFB once and burned the hives. In his hay day he had 1000 hives but at 76yrs old now has 125.  The frames are old and very dark.  They all have at least alittle damage some more that others.  Things like cells mashed over a couple with alittle mouse damage and some with mold in spots.  I dont want all the oppinions on possible ABF and things.  I know the risk but you have to trust someone and I do this man.  What my question is is will the bees repair any damage and clean out molds and things

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: drawn out comb
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 09:54:27 am »
Danno, bees do an excellent job at cleaning and repairing. Don't mean to burst your bubble, but most beeks will 86 old dark comb, they can harbor bacteria and disease, some even say its a magnate for shb.

You can find lots of info on the subject on this site.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 10:03:30 am »
thanks JP
I only wanted a few frames to put in swarm traps but ended up with 40 at 1.50 ea. I thought i would put two each along with wax foundation in for my packages to get started on next Sat. I your opinion should I just scratch this idea and just use my wax foundation  and feed heavely

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 10:06:39 am »
thanks JP
I only wanted a few frames to put in swarm traps but ended up with 40 at 1.50 ea. I thought i would put two each along with wax foundation in for my packages to get started on next Sat. I your opinion should I just scratch this idea and just use my wax foundation  and feed heavely

I ment to add that I would use them in swarm traps, but you have beaten me to it! Yes this is what I would do.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything