Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Flavors....  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Nugget Shooter

• House Bee
    • Nugget Shooter
Honey Flavors....
« on: July 13, 2016, 09:21:44 pm »
OK so today I got some honey from a forum member living in NY and I have never tasted anything like it. I travel the US on my motorcycle allot and try mucho honey, but have never tasted any honey with such a floral burst of flavor. Amazed and happy I requested some.... Now I want to try more from 3000 miles away or elsewhere produced by folks on the forums. Honey from my area has a much different flavor....

Once again I am reminded that I have so much to learn about these bees we tend.... Thanks for the great honey Brian!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 09:46:18 pm by Nugget Shooter »
Learning to manage without meddling...

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Honey Flavors....
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 09:33:05 pm »
Brian,
I usually pull honey 3 times a year. The honey is never the same. Spring honey is always good, the summer honey is even better, sometimes great and the fall honey is just OK. This spring the honey is great. Last years summer honey was really great. My first year honey was really dark, it has never been that dark again.
What I find interesting is that one person will taste a batch and love it and not like another batch and the next person is the reverse and the third person loves both.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 09:37:59 pm »
Ditto for me. Had my first taste of wisteria and honeysuckle from a hive I had icolated. Only got three quarts but it was the most floral and best I have had in all my years.now I'm looking for places with just those two to setup yard at.

John

Offline Nugget Shooter

• House Bee
    • Nugget Shooter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 09:43:59 pm »
Brian,
I usually pull honey 3 times a year. The honey is never the same. Spring honey is always good, the summer honey is even better, sometimes great and the fall honey is just OK. This spring the honey is great. Last years summer honey was really great. My first year honey was really dark, it has never been that dark again.
What I find interesting is that one person will taste a batch and love it and not like another batch and the next person is the reverse and the third person loves both.
Jim

Jim I was thanking Brian (Acebird) I am Bill  :grin:
Learning to manage without meddling...

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 10:35:05 pm »
Imagine honey from across the globe! I'm doing a honey exchange with a Canadian honey company - looking forward to that!

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 11:15:51 pm »
I hear that China would like some of that action.  :wink:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 08:57:07 am »
No need to thank me Bill it was my bees that did all the work.  My honey is a complete season blend and I see no reason to go after separate floral sources.  I wish shipping was not so expensive.  I would like to trade honeys with people on the forum in different parts of the country.  We went to Hawaii this year and I was amazed at how different the honey taste.
Thanks again Bill
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 01:03:21 pm »
Brian,
Jim

Sorry Bill,
I thought you just added your name with no punctuation.  :oops:
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 02:25:33 pm »
I had my first taste of locust honey last year and it was amazing.   Very light in color. 
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 05:07:12 pm »
We do have a honey locus here which has an aroma to die for but I don't know how much my bees go for it.  The flowers are white and the tree is thorny.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 08:41:10 pm »
My bees go more for the river locusts than the honey locusts [also super thorny].   I think they have sort of nondescript greenish flowers, but the bees are all over them.   You can find them from the sheer volume of buzzing in the woods.  Quite a sight.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 11:49:36 am »
I am partial to Tupelo honey. They have had two bad years in a row and it costs 30 dollars per pound. I have produced no honey yet but around here most of our spring honey is strongly clovery in taste. I am not a fan.  The fall honey though is really good and it is pretty much what I buy when I buy raw and local.

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 04:55:20 pm »
My honey has a marked difference from hives just miles apart. So much of what we have in the Keys is tropical landscape foliage so it can really be different depending on what the plantings close to the hives are.

I don't have much experience with honey outside Florida so if anyone wants to swap some of theirs for some from the keys PM me ;-)...and yes MTBEEgirl yours is on the way just haven't made it to the Post office yet ;-)
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 10:29:04 pm »
My two hives at home are a metre apart and the honey tastes different from each. The variety always amazes me!

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 10:22:28 am »
.and yes MTBEEgirl yours is on the way just haven't made it to the Post office yet ;-)

I'm really looking forward to it Jeff! I'm excited to hear what you think of mine! I'm going to extract some this next week since I want them to refill my comb instead of building more. Two of my hives I have seem to be honey making machines. lol
I bought two different honies when we were in Belize last December and they were soooo delicious. One was definitely from a floral source and the other was more foresty. lol
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline Rhino86

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 07:36:54 pm »
Do try macadamia honey, of course from a proper bee keeper. It is certainly getting up there as very flavorsome.
We get a lot of eucalyptus blends in Australia which are pretty good.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 10:30:24 pm »
I had a hive produce Sassafras honey once in early spring. It has a sharp flavor and was almost clear with a faint yellow color. I think that was the most unique honey I've gotten out of a hive.
  Had a chance to sample Mangrove honey last year, it was salty and sweet.