Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New keeper in AL  (Read 2474 times)

Offline klesage121

• New Bee
New keeper in AL
« on: July 02, 2008, 12:07:45 pm »
Hello all my name is Kevin.  I'm from Cullman County, Alabama and was just kinda placed into the keeper thing.  We use to have bees in a large tree but this year noticed that the bees were gone. Well in watching and finding only small bumble bees working the early flowers and in small numbers unlike years before we decided we had better get bees to work the crops.  I have been cramming to try to learn as much as I can about them but took awhile to get the equipment. I opened the hive yesterday holding my breathe in anticipation of the first sting boy was I surprised I managed to open the 2 hives with out getting stung.  I have another post in the pest and disease section if you can help check it out.    Any help is greatly appreciated.  Well back to more reading.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Re: New keeper in AL
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:13:54 am »
Hi Kevin, I'm getting into it for the same reasons you are.  I am hearing that NC has lots of bees this year, but we have very few.  I'm beginning to wonder if our droughts have had a negative effect on the bees over the past few years.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 03:06:25 pm »
Kevin, welcome to our forum, we love to have new members, so stick around, this will be a place for fun, learning, meeting new people, making new friends.  Tell us your tales, we love to hear of experiences of all sorts.  Have that most beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline alflyguy

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 05:16:31 pm »
Kevin, Welcome to the forum. I'm a new beekeeper in Talladega County AL. This site is a great way to learn about bees. I started my two hives in April and they are doing great. Much of the credit goes to the people who have asked and answered questions here.

Offline klesage121

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 05:38:59 pm »
Well I kinda found the site a little late for one hive should have been looking earlier lol.

Offline greenismycolor

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 09:53:10 pm »
Hi kevin

I am new to the forums as well...but ....welcome.  I am also in alabama, Winston county, so Hello neighbor.  Good luck and hope to hear from u soon.
Believe!

Offline klesage121

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 10:01:40 pm »
hheeyy green i know where ya at my family is all in hamilton so sometimes i take the long way around to go visit and travel the old 278... 

Offline greenismycolor

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 11:38:22 pm »
good kevin, it's nice to know someone here that is in the same area, maybe we can share happenings with our hives....
Believe!