Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Daughter's first swarm  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
Daughter's first swarm
« on: June 15, 2010, 09:44:36 pm »
Just thought you may enjoy a few of the pictures that I took of my daughter retrieving her first swarm. I was proud of how well she did everything, including the answers to the questions ask by the home owner.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline melliphile

• House Bee
Re: Daughter's first swarm
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 09:47:35 pm »
Excellent pictures! What a great opportunity for her to score some bees! You were probably out of there in under an hour!
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." -Plato

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 09:50:32 pm »
Great pics.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 09:51:25 pm »
Great job! It's a really good thing that she got them before they found those weep holes in the brick work!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 09:51:30 pm »
No, not that soon. We could have wrapped it up that fast but the swarm was not of a real great numbers one, so we decided to let it set to dark to capture the field and scouts as well.

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 10:22:39 pm »
Very nice pictures Sparky. Quality family time and free bees as well. I sure you both will remember this one for a long time.
Thanks for sharing this with us!
Joe S.

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 10:30:27 pm »
Great pictures!!  Better yet is the time you got to spend with your daughter doing something together.  Never miss a chance like that!  Very cool.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 07:41:18 pm »
Great job! It's a really good thing that she got them before they found those weep holes in the brick work!

Scott
It is funny that you mention the weep holes. The house had mating holes under the windows. I told the home owner that the bees were constantly checking out the cavity between the brick and the house wrap. I mentioned the weep hole were to large in my opinion and if the space behind were bigger that it would have possibly looked like a new home to the swarm. The bees that returned in the evening would keep going into them also. We kept puffing some smoke in them to drive the bees out and the lemongrass oil smell of the hive entrance picked them up.