Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finnish report: Varroa is not a problem, but information is  (Read 7310 times)

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Finnish report: Varroa is not a problem, but information is
« on: December 19, 2004, 08:28:40 am »
The expert group of Finnish Assosiation of Beekeepers informed 2002 that varroa is not problem in Finland. That is answer of beekeepers, who has varroa in their hives.

There are many good means  to keep the level of mites low enough. Allmost in every hive there are mites now in Finland.

My opinion:

Mite arrived over Russian range 30 years ago. It took 20 years to mite to go over whole Finland.

Mite came from Asia and they still keep bees there.

In this forum we talk about varroa alot like an final disaster. But as I understand, readers are not interested about methods, which really work. What are they searching? - A miracle?- WHY?

Also in Finland some beekeepers try to bring up the bee, which destroy the mite without chemicals. And every where I guess , in Poland, in Russia, In Slovacia, in Germany and so on  - What we have now? If you have some hives, do not believe too much - sorry.

Those methods we use now in Finland are from Eastern Europe. They are cheap and good. They have not money to get " a miragle solutions".  Still they keep bees in Asia and in East.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 09:34:44 am »
Many years ago it was said that man could not ever travel faster than 40 mile per hour. It was once said that man could not leave the bounds of the earth and travel to the moon. The earth was flat once. Man battled disease long before he ever knew there were microscopic organisims.

How can there be a quest for the Holy Grail if one does not exist?

Hopes, dreams, and imagination is what makes discovery possible. If people stop looking for a miricle cure, because there is not one to be found, one never will be found.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 10:32:44 am »
It is beleived there is a cure for everything it is just we are not smart enough to finde that cure yet or we havent stumbled upon it. It is also believed that all cures can be found in the RainForest but with the mass destruction of it we may never find these cures that someday we will really need. Bye
Ryan Horn

Offline Finman

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 11:36:13 am »
Quote from: Jerrymac

Hopes, dreams, and imagination is what makes discovery possible. If people stop looking for a miricle cure, because there is not one to be found, one never will be found.

That is true. But when a beginner  beekeeper needs help, does he need virtual help or real help - difficult to say.  Main thing is that every body has his/her right to aim at his/her happynes.  - as your basic law says.

Difficult to stay calm If most of forum is dreaming.... :wink:

Beekeeping is difficult enough  without  home-made-diffuculties. :lol:

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 11:49:05 am »
In a way I have to agree with you Finman, but on the other hand, sometimes one has to think outside the box. Approch things differently. Perhaps it will be a new bigging bekeeper that stumbles onto something that really works.

You say you have mites and have had them for a long time. Perhaps the weather in your area helps to keep them in check, but what would happen if those mites somehow adapted to something in your environment, or to something you do or don't do, and suddenly become a massive amount of mites infesting your hives. Wouldn't you want somebody somewhere to have stumbled upon something?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Finman

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 01:55:50 pm »
Quote from: Jerrymac

but what would happen if those mites somehow adapted to something in your environment, or to something you do or don't do, and suddenly become a massive amount of mites infesting your hives. Wouldn't you want somebody somewhere to have stumbled upon something?

That is not life if you are afraid your future. I am not alone in this world.
I have had that bad situation 2 times

1) The time, when mite arrived to Finland. We had no medicines in the country and no knowledge. I got medicin from Germany when my mother-in-law visited in Harmburg 1987.

I got my first  poison against varroa from Jugoslavia 1983, but I read that it is better to not use it. It was very carsinogenic.

2) 3 years ago my mites turned Apistan-resistant.  It took me a while to understand what is wrong in my hives. But now, everything is "under control".

I have seen, that people have done awfully work in this issue, There is no space for philosophy. In that way you cannot manage with your bees, or you?  What am I to know how you manage?

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 02:01:36 pm »
I finde it amazing that you havent had mites very long.I thought all bee raising countries had this problem, guess not. I guess some day we all will though, bye
Ryan Horn

Offline Finman

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 04:51:31 am »
Quote from: Horns Pure Honey
I finde it amazing that you havent had mites very long.

Of course I have, but mites are at low level enough.

If you know the coltrol method, that is all you need to have.  Do not take panic from mites.

New methods, we are discussing, must be relevant. But with today's methods everything goes OK. None professional  recommends in Finland "orgnanic methods". - If they come , wellcome then!

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 04:08:38 pm »
finman, I have been reading your posts about oxalic acid to treat mites.  I had treated with apistan right after the honey came off the hives, when i hadn't yet seen any bees with the wing disorder, but i did see a mite walking on the comb.  yesterday i found a bee with the wing disease from the mites, and then another, and another.  i went through the pile of dead bees outside the hive (winter is coming and bees are dying) and found four bees with the wing disorder.  so i went to the store and made a vaporizer out of some pipes, got some oxalic acid, and treated the hives.  we'll see how it works.  i think the mites in my area are already resistant to apistan.

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline Finman

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 05:10:24 pm »
Quote from: justgojumpit
so i went to the store and made a vaporizer out of some pipes, got some oxalic acid, and treated the hives.  we'll see how it works.  i think the mites in my area are already resistant to apistan.

justgojumpit

So it goes. :? :)   That vaporazing is guite laborous.  - Dont you have winter already there?  Liquid can be used when all brood have hatched.

We had 30 cm snow but it melted away.  We have had mild autumn and winter now.

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2004, 06:15:46 pm »
Justgojumpit,

At my bee club, one of the members was just down at a meeting in NY and he was saying that NY was going to start allowing oxalic acid in 2005. But you seem to be using it now. Massachusetts does not allow it yet. Do I have my info mixed up?
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2004, 01:16:30 am »
jay, i heard this too.  since there will be no more honey this year (wouldn't that be nice!) i figured that there would be no ill effects from starting a little early.  my bees needed the treatment, and i wasn't about to wait till it was "allowed" in spring... when my bees were already dead!

finman, we are supposed to have winter here, but today's temps were 55, so it was warm enough for the oxalic acid treatment.  in the spring i will treat for tracheal mites with the menthol.

and yes... vaporizing is laborous, especially in windy, rainy weather, when you have to drill the holes in the hives with one of those ancient hand drills, with a drill bit that is just to small for your pipe... all because you "misplaced" the electric drill and drillbit set.  isn't it fun playing doctor!?

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2004, 02:26:16 am »
Sounds like Christmas didn't come early enough! :lol:
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson