Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm collection predicament - simple but thoughts appreciated  (Read 4020 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Swarm collection predicament - simple but thoughts appreciated
« on: September 20, 2010, 10:47:41 pm »
Hi Everybody,

I have a simple problem which is easy enough to sort out but i was wondering if anyone else might have any ingenious ideas...

I went to pick up a swarm on Sunday - it was on a branch when i left home and by the time i had gotten to the house they had moved in to the wall of an extension - gggrrrrr - so after ripping weatherboards off i was able to get to the swarm and scoop most of the bees in to the box. Anyway, there were a lot flying around so i opted to leave the box there. I went back last night to pick it up, i put the cardboard in the entrance (in the dark) and was just about to pick it up and lift it off the roof when i thought it looked a bit weird underneath the box (from what i could see in the limited available light). I shone the torch and low and behold a lot of the bees liked it under the box than in it! glad i didnt throw that on my shoulder without my protective gear on.

So what i have thought of doing is going back after dark and, in the dark, just using a dust pan to scoop them in to the nucleus box. Is there a better way? I want to try and get most of them in there but if i lift the box some will likely run... any advice appreciated. I know it's a fairly simple problem but i figure someone may have come across this before and figured out a good way of dealing with it

Thanks in advance

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Swarm collection predicament - simple but thoughts appreciated
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 10:50:17 pm »
Put some lemongrass oil in the box to lure them in.   

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 10:51:44 pm »
put down an extra bottom.  pick up box and put it on new bottom.  pick up old bottom and bang the bees into the box.  close it.  take old bottom away in case queen has left scent on it.  wait until most of the bees are settled and you are sure you got the queen in there.  close.  take it home.

you might want to put hive on a tarp so that if some miss the box they won't be in the grass.

and put on your gear!!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 11:53:17 pm »
My advice?  Don't work bees in the dark.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 12:14:27 am »
I forgot to mention that the base is attached to the box and i don't have any lids or bases spare at the moment. The hive is currently sitting on top of a fibreglass roof... oh and don't worry! my gear will be going on :) i don't want to get stunk on the nose again!

The dustpan idea might be the only feasible one - but during the day - why are there not enough hours in the day?

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 07:35:57 am »
most likely the queen is under the box.  like iddee I don't recommend working bees at night.  by smoking you should be able to herd the bees into the box prior to moving... it just requires a bit of properly applied smoke (from the opposite direction you wish them to move) and time.  if the queen is under the box??? you can make bet that she will be the fastest or slowest bee in the group.
I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 07:52:29 am »
Could you lower the whole setup (including the bees clinging to the bottom) into a larger cardboard box? Those bees on the bottom will probably move around as you gently lower them into the cardboard, but if they fly you could wait for them to settle back in. Then, close the cardboard flaps, tape the flaps, and transport them to their permanent site...once there, all you'd have to do is lift the hive box from the cardboard carrier and, viola!, they're home.

Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 07:59:02 am »
Drop a frame of open brood in there and come back the next day.  I had a similar thing happen and that's how I solved it.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 12:05:02 pm »
How about something simple? Have someone lift the hive and hold it over a bucket or box. Brush them off into the container, then dump  the container into the hive. 30 seconds max! You do have a bee brush, right?  :-D

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 01:42:11 pm »
I'll invariably get a call back due to the airborn bees that don't settle down. 
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline cow pollinater

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 09:25:36 pm »
 D Coates nailed it.  Give them open brood and they'll march right in.  If they get confused a little smoke as a herding device helps but the open brood really sucks them in.
If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger... Or maims you for life.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 02:10:56 am »
I wish conditions were good enough at the moment to open my booming hive and get a frame of open brood out and have it survive the trip to where the swarm is... i'll have to go with the idea of holding it over the cardboard box i think and sweeping them in to it. I guess i could put a towel over the box to reduce the flying bees and i can just rach underneath it to brush the bees in to the box and then let them settle and tip them in to the nuc

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 06:49:38 am »
D Coates nailed it.  Give them open brood and they'll march right in.  If they get confused a little smoke as a herding device helps but the open brood really sucks them in.

Very very good to know. When I dream of spring, I dream of this kind of stuff. Seriously. I think this makes me a dork. Good luck with it, OzBuzz.
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 10:39:02 am »
Went and picked them up this afternoon! Bees can be so agro if they haven't eaten for five or so days! Five stings to the inner groin! First time I wanted to kill a swarm (just joking). I hope they calm down or this queens days are numbered!

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 11:03:58 am »

I'm with you Iddee. Unfortunately with a full time job, sometimes you just don't have a choice.  :oops:

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 11:32:47 am »
First time I wanted to kill a swarm (just joking

one of the worst ones i picked up this year turned out to be one of the best.  not only are they gentle, but they produce!   :-D  you never can tell......
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 10:07:26 am »

learnt that the hard way - working it on sunset - a dozen or more stings all over the body.

If you think you are going to work a hive at night get yourself a red torch - they don't even know they're being lit up  :-D

ML

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 10:39:47 pm »
I'm definitely not a fan of working them after dark! i prefer to do it during the day! I like the red torch idea though!