Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What are my bees bringing in in August in Texas?  (Read 3419 times)

Offline lonestarbee

• New Bee
What are my bees bringing in in August in Texas?
« on: July 27, 2013, 01:09:18 pm »
Hey everyone!  I live in the Dallas area, and although it's been a very mild summer so far, I don't see a whole lot blooming around, but my bees are steadily bringing in pollen and are busy all the time.  Today I noticed it's all white pollen, and I was wondering if anyone knew what is blooming right now and what else might be blooming the rest of the summer.  I have planted a lot of flowers for them but they just ignore them!  Thanks!

Offline duryeafarms

• House Bee
Re: What are my bees bringing in in August in Texas?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 03:01:30 pm »
I'd like to know the same thing. I have a backyard TB hive in a suburban San Antonio neighborhood. Actually, I'm pretty concerned that my site isn't a good area for foraging. I checked my hive this morning and found very little in the way of stores. Pretty much one honey comb with some scattered amongst the others as is normal for brood comb. As you know, it's been hot and there's nothing around in terms of wild flowers, and they won't touch most of the stuff people in my neighborhood have in their landscapes: blue plumbago, esperanza, crepe myrtle, oleander, lantana etc. The only thing they like that's blooming now is mimosa and texas sage when it decides to flower. Although there's a couple of solid ones, there's a lot of empty brood comb now because there's not much to eat. I suspect I'll be feeding them by September.

Offline lonestarbee

• New Bee
Re: What are my bees bringing in in August in Texas?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 03:11:38 am »
Well, now they're not bringing in anything, and there's not much activity during the day and only a little in the morning and evening.  It has gotten a lot hotter, and now they spend all their time fanning.  When I looked in my hive a few weeks ago, they did have about three combs that are only honey, and then about 11 that are brood with honey and pollen.  I hope they don't have to eat all the honey before winter, or I'll be feeding them by September too!  I have most of the plants you mentioned, plus some zinnias, oregano and mint.  They don't touch those either.  A guy on Youtube, McCartney Taylor, outofabluesky, lives in the Austin area and does a lot of TB beekeeping and has lots of videos.  Since he's really close to you, you might check out some of his suggestions.  He has a blog called Learning Beekeeping.  It's really interesting.  Good luck with your bees, and maybe there will be a fall honey flow that will help get them through the winter!