Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sugar Board  (Read 3654 times)

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Sugar Board
« on: November 11, 2004, 08:29:20 am »
I built the sugar board according to Robo's specifications, except I didn't put the center tube in that he indicated could be omitted.  I also heated the sugar mixture as directed and poured it in.  It certainly is an impressive block of sugar!!!  

One question -- is it normal for the block of sugar to have an amber color?  It began taking on this hue when the temperature passed 275 degrees.  It did not burn, as it was stirred almost constantly during the hour and a half long process.

As you can see, I've not done candymaking before.     :)

I hope to install it this afternoon, along with pulling the apistan and menthol, and winterizing all around, because the temperature this afternoon is supposed to be about 60 degrees and that's the warmest day projected for a week.    :(     We've already had some freezes this fall, most recently down to the lower 20s for the past few nights.  Summer is definitely over, and fall is waning fast.

-- Kris

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: Sugar Board
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 08:51:27 am »
Quote from: Kris^
I built the sugar board according to Robo's specifications,

And what is the meaning?  I have not noticed.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Sugar Board
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 09:00:12 am »
Hi Kris,

Couple of things, first of all the amber color is normal and as long as you didn't burn it, it will be fine.  Secondly,  I have found that heating that much is not required, and have since done my pouring at 260F.  I updated the directions on my webpage, but I guess it was after you where there :(
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison