Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Still Looking For Short Term Storage/Feeding Vessel  (Read 4204 times)

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
Still Looking For Short Term Storage/Feeding Vessel
« on: August 17, 2012, 09:36:19 pm »
I am Still Looking For Short Term Storage/Feeding Vessel for 50 or so bees for folks that are interested in self help with Apitherapy; any direction appreciated?
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

www.VPBEES.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Still Looking For Short Term Storage/Feeding Vessel
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 05:53:24 pm »
Fondant for short term.

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 07:37:30 pm »
And a means of storing say 50 bees and allowing one to access the storage container and get 1 bee out at a time? Thanks

www.VPBEES.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 08:56:57 pm »
The ones I've seen used in Asia (on videos) are simple glass jars with what looks like a thin latex cover with a slit in it. The bees can't get through the slit but can be pulled through using chop sticks. I don't know if they attempt to feed them or not. They might go through them so quickly as to not need to.

I sell bees to several people around here that sting themselves for arthritis relief but I don't know how they deal with it either...I'll have to ask. I just shake a few bees into a small jar for them.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 03:08:32 am »
What does a jar of bees go for? Do you sell them by the pound? Does it weigh less if all the bees are flying in the jar at the moment you weigh it?

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 10:17:57 am »
Does it weigh less if all the bees are flying in the jar at the moment you weigh it?

No. Mythbusters did a show on a similar topic (weight of a truck full of birds that were in mid flight).

To put it generally, if a bee weighs one gram while standing, in order for that bee to take flight, she has to push down on the air. That downward force would equal one grams worth of force (assuming that they were standing still and hovering). If all the bees were getting higher at the same time, theoretically it should weigh more. If all the bees were in free-fall at the time that you weighed it, it would weigh less. But generally speaking, no. The bees that are in flight in the jar do not affect the weight.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 10:47:39 am »
I charge $10 for a small jar (50-100 bees).

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 06:55:30 pm »
Thanks for the info specialkayeme, but now you've ruined my joke about the budgerigars, the truck and the old bridge! :(

It amazes me that people will pay good money to get stung. Maybe you should offer them your course on Applied Apitherapy, they could come do cutouts with you and get stung while helping you out at the same time.

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 07:04:45 pm »
Thanks hardwood; I don't want to be gouging anyone just meet their needs if I can.

www.VPBEES.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 09:47:44 pm »
NP Scooter, the cost is mostly to cover your time. Make sure you find the queen so you don't bottle her too!

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

anything