Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: okra  (Read 13598 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: okra
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 10:08:56 am »
Kev, oooh, I love okra.  What a splendid plan, I will be following your suggestions, with a slight variation.  I will start the seeds indoors, but under lights.  When it comes near to the time of transplanting, I will warm the bed with black plastic, this is a wonderful heating tool for the earth, and I have cloches, I can make that tiny little greenhouse row that you speak of, until they get too big.  Yeah!!!  Just never thought about okra under cover.  If you have any more cool tips, bring em' on!!!!   Have a wonderful, great day, lovin' this life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kev

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 08:30:59 pm »
Kev, oooh, I love okra.  What a splendid plan, I will be following your suggestions, with a slight variation.  I will start the seeds indoors, but under lights.  When it comes near to the time of transplanting, I will warm the bed with black plastic, this is a wonderful heating tool for the earth, and I have cloches, I can make that tiny little greenhouse row that you speak of, until they get too big.  Yeah!!!  Just never thought about okra under cover.  If you have any more cool tips, bring em' on!!!!   Have a wonderful, great day, lovin' this life we live.  Cindi

The oven is really for the soil temp. Once they germinate we move them to a light table. The germination is really spotty unless you have the soil temp quite high. So if you don't get them to germinate in a few days, put them on a warming mat. In the oven, ours will germinate in only 2 or 3 days. Outside, it takes weeks. We figured this out by trial and error.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 03:22:45 pm »
Will be planting some myself this year, would recommend Clemson Spineless, less sting.
Try drying  it, Keeps good.
Do not wash, just chop as if to fry.

I have worlds of Elephant Garlic also.
But am running short on walking onions. :roll: ;) :)
doak

Offline Kev

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 08:50:08 pm »
we tried Clemson spineless and head to head with the Louisiana Green Velvet and the cajun okra beat the other flat out for production. They were both in the same bed even.

Kev
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 09:27:16 am »
Doak, hey, nice to see you again, you haven't been here is quite some time, hope all was well.  Walking onions, what an interesting name.  It reminds me of the top setting onions that grow around here, I think they are also called Egyptian Onions or something like that.  I'll see if my seed catalogue has the Clemson spineless, that would be nice.  Have a wonderful and awesome day, love our life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 12:02:41 pm »
Yes Cindi, thats the proper name. :roll:
doak

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2008, 10:00:06 am »
Doak, cool, C.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 03:44:30 pm »
so i actually looked closely at my okra today and noticed that i have okra to pick even though the plants aren't very big. I grew the variety that I got from SirStungalot and also another variety which is green. the other day I thought there were only flowers on the plants.
Anyway, i guess its best to pick when its not too big? help?

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 06:12:10 pm »
Once it gets going it's just like cucumbers or zucchini, you'll be out there just about every day.  Best size depends upon the variety.  Just let a few pods go, then eat the different sizes while you're picking and you'll quickly figure out how old you can let it get.  If you are just breaking the pods off, be careful with the older tough ones because the stems can get fibrous and you can actually break the branch off the plant if you jerk too hard.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 08:24:20 pm »
Always try to gather it same time every other day. too big it gets tough,too small it's wasted, just right ,just right.
doak

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 09:51:34 pm »
i picked what looked ready and we had some for supper. i need to keep it picked smaller than what some of it was. i'll pick it when i pick squash which is every other day as suggested. now if i can only figure out what to charge for it at the farmers market.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2008, 01:06:28 am »
Can't stand Okra, she has my wife wantin' to be in her stupid book club!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2008, 01:32:44 pm »

...JP

Ha!Ha!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2008, 10:22:02 am »
...JP

JP, you are one funnnnneeee dude and oh yes, you make me wanna laugh, you make me wanna shout, I like the sprite in you-ou!!!  You are a brat, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah!!!!

I never got around to putting okra in, rats!!!!  I love okra.  My Sister first turned me onto okra when we visited her down in Salt Lake City a few years ago, it was the yummiest thing that I have ever tasted.  This spring set back the greenhouse work too far to even begin some of the "extra" things that I wanted to get in our gardens, oh well, guess we'll just have to buy okra at the food store.  Beautiful and most wonderful day, this is our time to love life.  Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2008, 10:24:26 am »
How much would it take for you to drink a glass of okra slime?? My wife won't eat it because of the slime.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2008, 10:31:27 am »
If you boil the okra, add a little vinegar to the water. Very little "slime."
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.