Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need help with the "bee vac"!!! - updated!  (Read 6379 times)

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
Need help with the "bee vac"!!! - updated!
« on: May 23, 2009, 01:06:50 pm »
I am having trouble finding a shop vac that i can install on top of my bee vac (Robo's design).  I am looking for 1.5hp up 3.0 p.  all the models I have found that size have HUGE tops that would be very bulky...at which point I may as well drag  the whole vac around~!  any suggestions on brands/models and where you can get them!  thanks!

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 08:44:04 am by wildbeekeeper »

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: suggestions for a vac for the "bee vac"
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 02:06:29 pm »
I used "Shop Vac" brand ..... twice. The vacuum head unscrews from the vacuum housing. I found both of them by the road awaiting the trash truck.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline beemused

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 12:04:27 am »
I also used the Shop Vac Brand. The base fits well on a flat surface after being unscrewed from the plastic mounting ring. Use the plastic mount for the motor as a template on the plywood top of the Bee Vac. A little silicone and all errors in marking are fixed. They are often found as stated in the previous post in recyclable condition for free or darn cheap. They must have made a zillion of 'em.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 09:43:59 pm »
so i built the vac using a 3 hp but I cannot get ANY suction... would going up to a 5 hp make it better or am I missing osmething somewhre in the design?

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 09:51:04 pm »
You are definitely missing something. Three HP is more than adequate.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 10:28:58 pm »
we only use one HP never had any trouble   http://www.shopvac.com/vacs/list.asp?hdnSource=index&Browse=1hp 
 :) RDY-B

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
Re: help with the "bee vac"!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 10:56:19 pm »
OK, so mabe someone (Robo?) can talk me through this... I usd Robos plans....my main body is a standard 10 frame deep.
The bottom section is 3" deep with a hole cut in thr front for the hose.  The is a sloping bottom from front to back.

the top section, I actually had to make 5" deep to accomodate the vac motor.  I put it all together and turn it on and i get No suction through the hose, but if I put my hand up under the motor I can feel the suction......I cant figure this out for the life of me.. it cant be that hard!!  HELP   lol  :) 

How much suction would you lose if there are not tights seams?

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 11:01:08 pm »
wildbeekeeper........do you have any pics of your set up??

Is you vac mounted to the top or are you using a hose to the top?

I put a 5 hp shop vac on mine, did not use any weather seal foam between the top and bottom and had a wo deeps inbetween. The damper was fully closed and just barely had enough suction. I think I was loosing the suction between the top, bottom and deeps.

A good way to check would be to fire up the smoker and puff smoke aroound all of the joints to see where the leaks are.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Need help with the "bee vac"!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 11:06:44 pm »
How much suction would you lose if there are not tights seams?

You can lose quite a bit. Try duct taping the seams and see if it helps. I put 1/8" foam tape on the top of the bottom and bottom of the
top of my bee vac to help when I use a rough hive body.

Steve

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 11:13:37 pm »
I will take pics tomorrow of the set up... like I said previosuly, I am sing a 3.0 hp and it is attached directly to the top (NOT using hose method) and the actually suction hose goes in on the bottom...Im going to give a good look at tomorrow and seal everything and see what is goingon...i just cant figure it out!!  I appreciate all the help!!!

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 01:47:22 pm »
One of the hardest leaks to stop is a vacuum leak !

It is almost impossible to get a smoth enough surface to make a vacuum seal,

Use foam or Duck tape - NO GAPS - PIN HOLES at all !!

The only " leak " at all should be your vacuum control adjustment .

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 02:21:01 pm »
you don't by chance have the bottom board turned upside down :shock:

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 02:31:33 pm »
you don't by chance have the bottom board turned upside down :shock:

G3

lol... that was the first thing i checked :)

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 08:03:33 pm »
The link below is the one I intend to use. I am having a plate made to fit over the vac hole on top so I can use either the 1 7/8 or the 2 1/2 size holes. The vac design is unbeatable for portability

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/WD4550-Pro-Pack/EN/index.htm

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 09:08:07 pm »
wildbeekeeper............did you get it figured out??/

G3

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 11:02:14 pm »
I think I use a 6hp on mine (I think), but made it really leaky so I get a lot of lost suction.  It's still probably more than is needed, but it works well enough.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:14:00 am by SgtMaj »

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 11:59:38 pm »
Mines a 5 hp and really leaky, I am going to try the foam weather seal to see if it will help.

G3

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
Re: Need help with the "bee vac"!!! - updated!
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 08:48:46 am »
ok, thank you all for your help!  I finally built Robos bee vac design with the top and bottom that fit my Langst. hive body....

after some trials and tribulations, i got it to work!  When I built both top and bottom before I screwed it together i put liquid nails between all the joints to close up any leakage there.

I also added 7/16" high by 3/4" wide foam window sealer on the the edges where the top/bottom meet the hive body.

I added a 3.0 hp shop vac brand shop vac and turned it on.....and it works!  I got suction and in playing with the air flow regulator, it definately makes a difference in control how much force it sucks up with.

I have to add a few minor leakage control measures where the hose goes in the bottom and also where the vac sits on top but so far it works as is.....i'll post pics later tonite...but again thanks for all your help!

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 09:26:50 am »
glad to hear you got it going, now you just need a big ol' swarm of bees to try it out on.

G3

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 09:58:53 am »
ive got that planned for saturday.... :)

anything