Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Building hive bodies and intercovers.  (Read 3981 times)

Anonymous

Building hive bodies and intercovers.
« on: April 13, 2005, 07:21:49 am »
Getting ready to do splits when queens are ready to ship.
Here are a few I cut and assembled yesterday.
A 1"x12"x8' cost $11.73 at Lowes four of them makes five hive bodies. You can buy precut but the shipping kills you on cost per body. You also wouldn't have the pleasure of cutting your own out.

:D Al

Offline Agility Mom

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 09:20:01 pm »
These look very professional! You must have an assembly line going to turn out so much in such a short period of time.
Judy

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 10:16:19 pm »
:oops: OOPS:: punction needed. I bought the boards Friday the 8th. Cut the hive bodies to sizes I was going to build, fifteen deeps and five shallows. I then took some of the wood I got when I Cut down the boards to 9 5/8 inches to make the rails for the intercovers.

I then set up my dado blade in the table saw to cut out the frame rest. I do 3/4" because I add a metal rest which raises it by 1/8".

Next I install my dado jig from the plans that Tom  a (member here) of myoldtools.com shared with us to cut the box joints. Much better control than with a miter box joint jig I found.

With a dry fit Saturday ended with all the parts cut out ready for assembly when I could get at them.
Tuesday afternoon till 6:30Pm

I have this really yukky green pea soup $3.00 a gallon stain for them when I get a chance to finish them up next week as I have to go out of town for the week end.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 11:36:16 pm »
I have a problem of not being able to find wood that isn't warped in some way or other. I therefore have to clamp all sorts of ways to get the boxes half way decent. Ok the warped boards are of the cheapest pine I can find.

Any one else with this warp problem and how do you handle it?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 08:42:05 am »
:( About the only way to to deal with warped wood is just not buy it. If people would refuse to except that stuff they would handle some better grades of lumber. It is like over cooked food at a resturant, if you eat the stuff with out complaint then they soon start thinking it is excetable.

If you have some that needs to be fixed one solation is to wet it down, really soaking wet then weight it down flat till it drys out. Some bowing of hive parts can be fixed with a well soaked part being clamped into place and nailed down and it will comform to shape.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 09:18:28 am »
I was wondering about soaking, but was afraid it might make it worse. So if I were to soak it down and assemble it in a frame I made out of angle iron and  clamp it down, it would come out straight. Or a reasonable facsimile there of?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/