Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First cut out today...  (Read 1827 times)

Offline acepestdetective

• New Bee
First cut out today...
« on: November 23, 2007, 03:38:20 pm »
 Hi all, haven't posted for a while so hope you're all ok and having better luck than most of the keepers that I have spoken to this year here in the UK!

Had a phone call today to have a look at some bees behind some sofits and got all excited at the prospect (due to me not having any bees in my hives at the moment).

Anyhoots as I removed the sofit although there was a large amount of comb and some good honey stores there were only a few hundred (if that bees) so yet another colony that has collapsed.

It's always a shame to see our bees dying away especially after I carefully prepared everything to remove the colony carefully today.

Ah well, such is life I suppose.

With the frosts that we've been having here of late, do you guys and gals think the bees would have taken to my hive okay if put in on a warm day and fed ok, if of course they were present in any sort of numbers?

Rob.

Offline wayne

• House Bee
Re: First cut out today...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 12:01:51 am »
 Myself, I would have tried. Maybe shaking the bees into a hive with different comb. That would have been an interesting experiment, to see if different comb and feed would have brought the hive back.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 08:56:14 am »
If there was queen they could have done well in a nuc. You would have had to feed them.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline acepestdetective

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 01:57:27 pm »
 Cheers all, will build that nuc ready for next time then...

anything