Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Calls, how often are they legit?  (Read 1620 times)

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
Swarm Calls, how often are they legit?
« on: June 09, 2009, 12:14:57 pm »
I contacted my local fire dept and also listed on a few websites. So far I have gotten two calls about honey bee swarms to come collect. When talking with the first one, the swarm had built a hive inbetween the chimney and siding on their house, it has been there since last summer. The second swarm had a tan paper like nest around it hanging from a tree in a persons back yard for the last few months but they are getting too big and starting to be bothersome, so he was pretty happy to find someone who will collect a honey bee swarm for free.

Obviously, neither were swarms. Both times I got pretty excited when they start their call off with "I have a swarm of bees and you collect them for free?"... What are your experiences w/such calls?

Jeremy
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Swarm Calls, how often are they legit?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 12:22:12 pm »
people don't know the difference between a swarm and a hive.  they don't know the difference between honeybees and yellowjackets.  it's up to you to ask the right questions.  when i have asked and am still unsure, i give them my email address and ask for a picture.  my calls are about 2 to 1 honeybees to something else. 

the pictures have worked except in one instance.  that time the lady went out and took a picture of a honeybee on a flower.  when i arrived, i found the problem bees to be a yellowjacket nest at the base of a tree :-).

i get a lot of "what do i do about...." calls.  i try to help people out over the phone when i can.  it's just good PR.  most of the time they want to know how to get rid of yellowjackts.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 12:39:07 pm »
yellow jackets + quart of gasoline = no more problem

now don't start flaming me for poisoning the ground, blah blah blah. If you want to keep yellow jackets for a hobby then go for it, I for one would love to watch you manipulate them from the safety of inside my truck!!

Now back on topic..............................

Like kathy said you need to ask the right questions and get the answers you are looking for.

Lady called me last saturday said a limb had fallen out of a large old oak tree and a hive of honey bees were in the limb. Drove all the way across town to find just that, a hollow limb with two combs about a foot long and 3 inches tall, bess had already robbed the honey out of it and were back in the top of the tree.............about fifty foot up in the air. We visited a while and she gave me $20 for gas money, I told her to keep it but she insisted, thanked her and left.

Ask lots of questions, it may sound silly but even ask if they know the difference between a honey bee and a yellow jacket, bumble bee and wasp.

Kathy the email me a pic is a great idea.

good luck with it.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 01:04:49 pm »
When I get a call I usually explain to the people that I do not remove bees for free.  Some of these calls are from exterminators or carpenters.  They figure that if I get to remove their problem (bees) then they can go ahead and make money on the repairs.

Before I even start to head out to their location I ask them to describe exactly what it is that they have.  Usually after a few minutes I can tell by their description as to what they have.  I also ask them to send me some email pics if possible.  I explain to them that I only remove bees and bats.  I use no poisons/chemicals.  I then explain to them the process involved in the removal and I give them a schedule of my fees.  Most people do not want to exterminate the bees and give me the job.  I also explain to them the problems that they might have if they only poison the bees and seal the entrance, leaving the brood, comb, etc.  within the structure.

Several weeks ago I received a call from a lady that stated she had a swarm of bees congregating on the window inside of her barn.  She said that the bees had been there for two days.  I asked her how many bees she observed and she said that there were approximately 50 bees.  I told her that if it was a swarm then there should be bees in the thousands.  She emailed me several pictures and they were indeed honey bees.  I explained to her that perhaps she had a colony of bees residing somewhere in the building and that the bees she saw were probably congregating on her barn window due to the light.  Since the location was only a couple of miles away from my home I decided to go check it out.  When I got there I noticed several dozen bees dead on the window sill and some flying around.  After a search of the building no swarm or colony of bees were found.  "You win a few and you loose a few".  Oh well.
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 02:05:15 pm »
One thing that I've found, and this is MI with distinct seasons:

spring calls = honeybees
fall calls = yellowjackets

They call when they start seeing the bees.  Yellowjackets kind of creep up on you, they start out with 1 and climax in the fall.

I get a lot of calls about hives in structures.  I'll usually dispense some advice but I can tell on the phone if it is a swarm or not.

Rick
Rick

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 02:23:52 pm »
I usually ask them to describe what they are seeing.  Let them do the talking.  If start asking, does it look like a ball of bees hanging from a branch, they may say yes, even though it's a large hornet nest hanging from the branch.  Let them do the talking, so you don't put words in their mouth.  That way, you hear the tell-tale signs of "paper nest," etc.  Asking questions, and letting the other person do the talking, has led me to 100% honeybee calls and no wasps.  The only disappointment was when the swarm was gone by the time I got there.  I charged anyway and removed the remaining 10 or so bees.  The guy asked while he still had to pay me, and I told him that I don't just get in the car and drive for an hour for free!  He understood, and offered me a cup of coffee for the drive home.

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.