Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small motorized extractors???  (Read 6529 times)

Moots

Small motorized extractors???
« on: July 10, 2013, 04:46:55 am »
First year Beek, had planned on 2 to 3 hives, but caught the fever. Currently at nine hives and a couple of Nucs, thinking I'll "try" to level off for the foreseeable future.   :)

Anyway, made a homemade extractor that would probably serve my needs. Also, have the option of borrowing one from my LBC.

That being said, strongly considering buying a small 6 to 9 medium frame radial motorized extractor, since I feel like that's where I'm going to end up eventually anyway.

Any specific knowledge, experience or opinions on models fitting this bill would be greatly appreciated.   I think my current lead horses are the Maxant 6 frame model and the Walter Kelley 9 frame model.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: Small motorized extractors???
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 12:50:40 pm »
I have been using a Maxant Nine Frame Extractor POWER-9F for years. Our club purchased a nine frame non powered unit three years ago and after the first year purchased the power unit as they quickly got tired of cranking it. Some do not mind the cranking but at my age, I went the powered way.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Moots

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 01:10:42 pm »
On closer examination.....I'm convinced that the Maxant and KelleyBees extractors are identical and obviously from the same supplier.  Only difference appears to be the legs offered and the stickers on the front.  :-D

Maxant Nine Frame Extractor POWER-9F

compared to

Kelley Bees 9-frame Power Extractor With legs

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 05:50:17 pm »
Moots,
I bought a Mann Lake 9/18 motorized extractor. It was on sale with free shipping at the time and with a total of 20 hives, some of the are just starting up, I am glad that I did get it. Extracted 42 gallons of honey a couple of weeks ago and I expect to do that again in a few weeks.
Jim

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/publications/product/HH-215%20%20Radial%20Extractor.pdf
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 06:56:14 pm »
On closer examination.....I'm convinced that the Maxant and KelleyBees extractors are identical and obviously from the same supplier.  Only difference appears to be the legs offered and the stickers on the front.  :-D

Maxant Nine Frame Extractor POWER-9F

compared to

Kelley Bees 9-frame Power Extractor With legs

The Maxant extractor is made in Ayer,Massachusetts USA I was at the factory yesterday I do know that some of the controls/motors and you may find the pillow block bearings are not made in the USA and maybe the honey gates the rest of the machine is made in the USA. I need is some parts for an extractor that is about 40 years old the extractor I have.It was discontinued about 10 years ago and yes it was a Maxant part and it was in stock. Good luck if you buy and offshore one to get parts that you may need some day. I do not know if Kelley produces its own extractor or not.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 06:36:30 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Moots

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 07:17:56 pm »

The Maxant extractor is made in Ayer,Massachusetts USA I was at the factory yesterday I do know that some of the controls/motors and you may find the pillow block bearings are not made in the USA and maybe the honey gates the rest of the machine is made in the USA. I need is some parts for an extractor that is about 40 years old the extractor I have was discontinued about 10 years ago and yes it was a Maxant part and it was in stock. Good luck if you buy and offshore one to get parts that you may need some day. I do not know if Kelley produces its own extractor or not.

Jim,
Is it actually a Maxant factory or a third party supplier?  Don't know how closely you looked at the two links I posted, the extractor photo's look identical and the descriptions read very very similar....The color and brand and position of motor, the look and position of the controls, same gauge of stainless steel, same dimensions, both have upper and lower support rings, etc. etc.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't believe these 2 extractors aren't coming off the same assembly line.  :)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 07:30:15 pm »
Jim,
Is it actually a Maxant factory or a third party supplier?  Don't know how closely you looked at the two links I posted, the extractor photo's look identical and the descriptions read very very similar....The color and brand and position of motor, the look and position of the controls, same gauge of stainless steel, same dimensions, both have upper and lower support rings, etc. etc.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't believe these 2 extractors aren't coming off the same assembly line.  :)

YES it is a factory, Maxant buy sheets of stainless steel and structural steel they cut and mold all their own products I do not know if Maxant makes any other label or not.  

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Moots

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 07:42:09 pm »

YES it is a factory, Maxant buy sheets of stainless steel and structural steel they cut and mold all their own products I do not know if Maxant makes any other label or not.  

Jim,
That's interesting....Thanks for the info!  :)

sawdstmkr,
That looks nice....But that's a little higher than I wanted to step.  :-D

mikecva,
I hear what you're saying about the hand crank... I was entertaining thoughts of going that way.  However, our LBC did an extracting demo the other night with a small motorized extractor...When I saw how long he let it spin to fully extract the honey, I QUICKLY revised my opinion and decided I wanted something with a motor.  :-D

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 07:55:37 pm »
moot, been using a maxant 20  10 for a coupla yrs and it iss American as jim says  jp has one, go look at his  if your temperature is up then when it gets up to speed you are done it cost a little more, but I like to know I can get parts any time
to bee or not to bee

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 11:10:00 am »
moot, been using a maxant 20  10 for a coupla yrs and it iss American as jim says  jp has one, go look at his  if your temperature is up then when it gets up to speed you are done it cost a little more, but I like to know I can get parts any time

I do know Bud has a Model 1400PL Maxant extractor.

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 01:36:29 pm »
On closer examination.....I'm convinced that the Maxant and KelleyBees extractors are identical and obviously from the same supplier.  Only difference appears to be the legs offered and the stickers on the front.  :-D

Actually looking at the graphic for the walter, it appears like they photoshopped it and added the sticker, it isn't even actually on the machine....thats sorta funny.

Can't you simply just get a motor, and a wheel off a belt pully and motorize a hand crank one? or do they use inferior bearings/etc in hand crank ones?

Moots

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 06:39:18 pm »

Actually looking at the graphic for the walter, it appears like they photoshopped it and added the sticker, it isn't even actually on the machine....thats sorta funny.

B2B,
I thought the same thing about the picture.  :laugh:

Actually called Kelley's this morning and confirmed that it is the Maxant extractor and parts are available....So I ordered it!  :-D

The same Maxant extractor was available on other sites, at a better price, but I needed other supplies also... When all factors were weighted....Availability, shipping, selection of other products, buying it from Kelley Bees was the best overall deal for me.