Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Last year's queen in this year's nuc  (Read 1818 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Last year's queen in this year's nuc
« on: March 13, 2007, 03:28:58 pm »
OK, I don't know how to handle this.  I installed my two nucs in a quick dash home over a break in the work day.  I carefully examined each frame and by golly I saw the queen in both new hives - This is amazing since I never saw either queen all of last year.  The disadvantage is that the queen in one nuc is a large woman clearly marked in yellow.  The queen in the second more vigorous boiling over with bees nuc is a small woman with a white dot on her back -

I called and left a message for the beekeeper who sold them to me that I had one queen who was from last year, but didn't suggest what he/I should do at this point.

What would you do?  I was supposedly getting two nucs with this year's queen and she is last year's queen???

Confused in Atlanta,

Linda T :?

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Last year's queen in this year's nuc
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 03:37:35 pm »
If both queens are healthy and good layers I would leave them alone. I would use it as a card for free visit or extra support when you have a problem. Nothing like extortion and guilt to get what you want.  8-)

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 05:33:56 pm »
I spoke to the beekeeper from whom I bought the nuc and he said that most of the nucs at this time of year have a queen from last fall.  He said that the nucs he will have at the beginning of April will have mostly 2007 queens in them. 

So much for my concern.....guess the trade-off for getting an early start is getting an older queen.

Linda T

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 08:23:20 am »
Or he couldn't find the yellow paint pen when he marked her...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything