Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wild hogs and bee hives  (Read 5201 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Wild hogs and bee hives
« on: July 16, 2012, 06:38:21 pm »
I saw about 15 pretty good size hogs in the close vicinity of one of my bee yards. The hives are on stands on cinder blocks. The hives being that low to the ground could be in danger if hogs have a taste for honey.

My question is do I have anything to be worried about?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Wild hogs and bee hives
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:46:15 pm »
I've had bees around feral pigs for years and never had an episode. They rut the yards up that it's hard to mow them though!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:51:51 pm »
Never heard of a hog with a sweet tooth but I have heard of a boar with an itch. I have seen hogs rub themselves on trees and fence posts. If it were a hive then there might be a problem. Just to be on the safe side go ahead and kill all of the nasty swine you can.
BTW, avoid using diesel in and around the yard as hogs are attracted to the smell of diesel.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 07:00:29 pm »
Thanks guys. I know a hog will eat ANYTHING. If they are still in the area this fall when it 's cooler I will shoot some. I love pork.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Nature Coast Beek

• House Bee
  • Suck it up, buttercup!
    • Both Feet In
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 07:48:56 pm »
Now honey does make a nice BBQ mop rub on pork shoulder...I'm just sayin'.   :-D

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 08:16:50 pm »
Now honey does make a nice BBQ mop rub on pork shoulder...I'm just sayin'.   :-D

We speak the same language! I make a BBQ sauce using honey.

Steve

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 08:35:07 pm »
Why wait til fall.   Shoot them now and pack them in ice.  The babies now will have a litter of their own by this fall. 

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 08:59:25 pm »
If the opportunity comes with no effort on my part, maybe. I sure wont be hunting them in this heat.

I don't deal with heat very well.

Steve

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 09:44:56 pm »
Need someone to hold the flashlight for you?     :-D