Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nitrile Gloves  (Read 9559 times)

Offline FrogPond

• House Bee
    • http://www.FPAcres.com
Nitrile Gloves
« on: June 21, 2005, 08:29:38 am »
This might seem a little silly, but has anyone determined if the new nitrile gloves (the bright blue things) reduce stings?

My understanding is the nitrile rubber glove was developed for use in medical applications to prevent (or at least reduce) needle sticks. They are nice and tight-fitting like latex gloves but are specifically marketed to "reduce punctures." I picked up a pack at Home Depot (they are cheap) and have been using them, but I don't have the guts to try inducing a sting!

Just wondered what others have experienced. I don't like wearing bulky gloves (and don't) but these seem thin enough and tight enough to let me feel what is going on. If it helps eliminate stings, it might be worth it. Any experience out there? Or better yet, any willing test subjects?  :lol:
Charles Fry, Amatuer Farmer & Entremanure
Frog Pond Acres   -    http://www.FPAcres.com - come by for a visit!

Offline drgenegarris

• New Bee
    • http://honeybees.drgarris.com
Latex Allergies
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 01:36:11 pm »
I thought the main reason for the new nitrile gloves was because of Latex allergies.  I know that in a local hospital latex balloons are forbidden.

I prefer nitrile gloves myself.

Some people, I believe, are also allergic to the powder in the gloves.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Nitrile Gloves
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 01:59:09 pm »
You are absolutely correct with the allergys to the latex and the reasons for the gloves.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Nitrile Gloves
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 06:32:07 pm »
My main use for Nitrile Gloves has been when working with OIL BASED SOLVENTS - they are VERY resistant compared to Latex.

I can use a pair for nearly an hour when using parts cleaner (compared to a 5 minute MELT-DOWN with Latex) and still be going strong.

They have no stretch to them and I haven't used them with the bees yet (except to handle honey frames and propolis) but I tend to think they are NOT what I want to use when working the hives - they color is one issue, I think they will really get the ATTENTION of the bees (unwanted attention that is) and since they don't stretch, they are LOOSE at the wrist, which makes for easy entry by bees.

I'll stick with my thin and well worn leather gloves for the bees and use the Nitrile elsewhere. Still, they are a great product and I think well worth the money.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Nitrile Gloves
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 06:56:03 pm »
I have purple nitrile gloves, and decided to try them one day on the hive. I changed my mind though when I saw how loose it was at the wrist. Like John said, the bright color and looseness could be a problem. I wasn't daring enough. :)

Beth

Offline BEECANUCK

• New Bee
Nitrile Gloves
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 02:19:23 am »
Nitrile gloves are designed to tear when they receive a needle prick for example, where as it is more difficult to notice a hole in latex. So to answer your question it will be more obvious that you have been stung (if the pain is not enough) by the rip in the glove.

Offline Yarra_Valley

• House Bee
Nitrile Gloves
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 11:04:58 am »
Nitrile gloves are designed to tear when they receive a needle prick for example, where as it is more difficult to notice a hole in latex. So to answer your question it will be more obvious that you have been stung (if the pain is not enough) by the rip in the glove.

That's spot on. I use nitrile gloves for first aid. They offer me two direct advantages. Firstly they protect me. If they are puntured they split open so I know I'm at risk of contamination. The second factor is that some people have an allergy to latex or the powder they a lubricated with. The other advantage for me with Nitrile gloves is that they are a nice blue colour, which makes them look more professional than the usual latex gloves. This helps to stop people that don't know what they're doing from trying to tell you to do something stupid, or worse yet, trying to become involved and doing someting stupid and incompetent to the casualty.

As far as beekeeping goes, wouldn't know. But if anyone is willing to let me know how they get on with their sting experiments, let me know!
Careful, my pets can smell your hives. 8)

Offline asleitch

• House Bee
Nitrile Gloves
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 08:57:57 am »
I don't wear anything other than nitrile gloves now. I haven't been stung through them once.

I do wear some cuffs though, as they are loose around my wrists.

Like this:

Adam

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Nitrile Gloves
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 10:51:04 am »
I wear them once in a while.  Not to prevent stings,  but to prevent getting propolis all over my hands.  I did get stung once on the thumb while wearing them, and the glove did not split open.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline beandoggle66

• New Bee
Nitrile Gloves
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 02:48:43 pm »
I tried them out just yesterday changing the reducers and did not receive any stings. Bees were flying all around but the color blue did not seem to attract the bees tot he gloves.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Nitrile Gloves
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 02:53:59 pm »
Who would have known that blue and purple gloves would strike up so much discussion.   :?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Nitrile Gloves
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 02:59:26 pm »
Some people for some reason think darker colors attract bees. Or that bees don't like it and will attack or something. I wear blue jeans and long sleeved blue shirts. The bees don't care.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Nitrile Gloves
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 03:21:41 pm »
I read somewhere (perhaps on this site) that bees can't see anything in the dark.  I wonder if that's where the dark clothing thing comes from.  Seeing a head and set of arms with no body attached would freak out anyone. :D
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline John Jones

• New Bee
  • Know how Bees feel
Re: Nitrile Gloves
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 04:28:48 pm »
I have been using Nitrile Exam Gloves like doctors wear in hospitals. They are chemical proof, stick resistant (bee cannot sting through them), and you can feel what you are doing. Get a box and try them out. Grainger has several different ones. I personally use Kimbely-Clark purple Nitrile powder-free exam gloves number 55083. You can put in Kimberly-Clark 55083 in Google and get a hit.

See YouTube video on Nitrile gloves with me trying to stick a needle and knife through them.

John Jones
Stone Mountain, Ga.

Can you mark the queen in these?? Have not tired it. Doctors do surgery in them. Nurses find vanes and draw blood and do other task. I would have to say yes as a guess. I like the idea of not touching bees from one or group of hives without changing gloves. Much like nurses and doctors change gloves when interacting with patients. Makes sense on humans in the transfer of bacteria, virus, etc., makes sense on bees.

I took a stick pen and pushed against the nitrile glove. It did not go through the glove. I took my pocket knife and pushed it against the nitrile glove and it did not go through. I was pushing harder than any bee could push. Sting proof... dont know absolutely yet. Can you feel what you are touching better than gloves, absolutely. They sure help though. Try a pair. I am planning to do a youtube production on this concept. I will post the link if, when I get it done. I gave a few pair to Fred Rossman in Moultrie and told him to get some of his guys that are in the fields all day to give some feedback. He liked the concept enough to ask me to send him the information on the glove. They only have 3500 hives.

John Jones
Stone Mountain, Ga.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Jones
Stone Mountain, Georgia

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 07:06:42 pm »
I don't really mind stings, honestly, so I don't wear gloves. Each one helps develop my tolerance to venom, and they teach you to slow down when moving around the bees. The only time I get stung is when I move my hands too quickly near the hive, and they react to the movement. Unless you have a lot of hives to work, the slowing down effect of stings is a good lesson.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 07:47:33 pm »
I wear Nitrile gloves for one reason only, to keep propolis off my hands and fingers, however I can tell you that I have never been stung on the hand while wearing them and I don't know why.  :-D

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 11:09:53 pm »
I have a couple pair of the blue nitrile gloves. Unfortunately, I wasn't wearing the nitrile gloves, but plain latex gloves when I got stung yesterday.
So now I wonder if the blue ones will be good enough or do I need to get the purple ones?
Brenda

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 11:59:53 pm »
I wear Nitrile gloves for one reason only, to keep propolis off my hands and fingers, however I can tell you that I have never been stung on the hand while wearing them and I don't know why.  :-D

Hands no, wrists yes.  Guantlets can prevent that.  But I go into the bees with the intent to get stung it's my apitherapy treatment for the week.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 12:57:14 am »
John Jones, nice man that he is (and I have actually met him in person at a bee meeting), gave me some of the purple nitrile gloves and I like them.  I bought the blue ones from Gempler and have really loved them.  They allow me more dexterity than those clumsy leather gloves and they are comfortable to wear.  However, I have been stung through the blue gloves - not often but I am slow and gentle with my bees.  The only time I was stung through them was this hot hive - a swarm hive - and they attack me everywhere, every time I open the hive. 

I have not noticed any more bee activity on my hands than with leather gloves and if the bees seem too interested in my hands, it is both easier to notice and easier to get them to go somewhere else.

As was said in the above post, when I was stung, the glove did not rip as it is supposed to when penetrated.

I'm a fan of the nitrile glove - I like the purple ones John gave me.  They seem the same to me as the blue ones, but they are a little large for me, so I can't say for sure about their effectiveness.  I have not been stung through them yet.

Linda T in Atlanta, very happy in either blue or purple.

Offline Flygirl

• House Bee
  • ~ It's never to late to have a happy childhood ~
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 03:18:10 am »
Hi All ~

i just went to my local Mill & Feed & purchased a pair of Nitrile gloves for gardening.  They are a sea green color & have a long wrist length.  I tucked my bee suit sleeves into the gloves & put a rubber band around my wrist.  It was easier than I thought  it'd be since my finger dexterity was good / better with the nitrile gloves.

These gloves make it much better to handle my camera to take pictures when I'm in the hive :)

BTW~  I haven't been stung yet this year but I'm pretty quiet & gentle when in the hive.  I like to wear gloves but have gone gloveless too early in the season.  As the  hive grows I feel more secure gloved-up :)

FG
~ It's never too late to have a happy childhood ~

anything