Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: late season 2nd box on split, over or under?  (Read 1194 times)

Offline windfall

• House Bee
late season 2nd box on split, over or under?
« on: July 27, 2011, 08:24:23 pm »
I have a split made in the end of june that has just about filled out a 10 frame deep (80%). We are about to enter our fall flow here and I know it's time to add another box. My question is above or below?

In reading old threads I see many arguing for below as the bees tend to work down naturally. And below makes sense with foundationless as well, although I know I can "ladder" some frames into a box above. And I see arguments for helping the bees keep the heat for brood in the top box until they expand down.

All of that makes sense to me but all the references I could find were for spring or early summer. We are gearing toward fall now and to be honest I am not entirely sure I am looking for the brood nest to increase so much as let them get stores in for the winter.

Under these circumstances does placing the box on top make more sense... so they continue to use the exisitng brood area and place the honey above them? Or is this yet another decision that I am way overthinking?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: late season 2nd box on split, over or under?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 09:52:31 pm »
Put it on top.  Keep it simple and easy.

Offline applebwoi

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 01:43:14 am »
On top.

Offline windfall

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 08:48:34 am »
Thanks for the feedback. I have to replace the bottom board either way, so it is a wash in terms of ease...but I get what you guys are trying to tell me ;)