Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: So... What is you favorite app??  (Read 15908 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
So... What is you favorite app??
« on: February 20, 2012, 05:56:08 pm »
Been think since many of us have smart devices which app or apps are you favorite app why?

I'll give three in order of most favorite.

1)   SKYWORDS ( Upwords the boardgame like Scrabble but you can also stack tiles five high) i have around 20 games going at anytime, everyone just plays when they have tume and with that many games going you always have a dozen or two turns every day to play.

I also have the Scrabble app and same format applies for that. Playing word games with people from around the world is a blast cause you can text as you play.

2) Tune-in Radio is a great app that finds thousands of radio station by genre or music by type. I'm into talk radio mainly and follow certain hosts like Michael Savage who is on locally at 6pm but I'm usually doing other things then so Tune-in allows you to schedule the start and end, which nights and what station and it saves it to your recordings. What is cool is i record him from 1-4am from a Juno, Alaska station so it is in the Ipod when i get up in the morning. It includes all types if radio including police scanners and local stations.

3) this is a tie although very different apps: 

a) VIP POKER this slick looking multiplayer Texas holdem poker game reminds me of Ultimate bet poker on the pc - circa 2004 look. A simple table and chairs and card and chat, nothing like avatars or unnecessary animation just poker and easy ti navigate screens.

B) APPS FIRE is an app that scours the app store for apps in all categories which just went FREE sometimes for just one day or for good and also apps that are greatly reduced - either way I'm talking both big savings but more importantly it exposes you to apps you would never see otherwise. I tend to download dozens of free apps a day, all of which sell for a buck normally and if the stink i delete them with nothing spent and no disappointments  just a learning experience. Best of all, just because that app stunk there might be others that you now know to search!!

So there. I just typed all this using the tapatalk app on an Ipod touch and I'll likely have this in my had until bed time. I'll use it to talk on our ventrilo voice chat ir watch a movie from the HBO or XFINITY app or watch FOX OR CNN LIVE and have nothing else techy wise with me at Bud4. I never thought ever such technology could come as small as a playing card and much thinner than a pencil.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
Re: So... What is you favorite app??
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 09:12:42 am »
APRSDriod... Click for where I am...

Not sure if you are familiar with APRS John but since I dont' have any radios installed in my new Jetta TDI, I use this ap. I usually have an Igate server at home that forwards the info to RF.

FourSquare is another app I like. Myself and the group at my local "watering hole" use it. Points and other stuff like that.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

P.S. I just got a Droid last week. I've retired my BlackBerry (anyone want a Verizon BB?)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 01:11:31 pm »
angry birds!!!   :evil:

depends on the time of the year.  i have a storm tracker that i like during hurricane season.  earthquake! is good.  of course, GasBuddy. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 02:34:28 pm »
yeah forgot about Angry Birds... cool program. Got to get GasBuddy... I check it on the PC and didn't realize there was an "app for that".

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Billy B

• New Bee
    • Billy B's Bees
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 03:48:01 pm »
CamScanner+
 - Great for snapping a photo of a page, whiteboard, etc. and automatically cleaning it up
CamCard
 - Scan a business card, does a great job with OCR of the contents and automatically adds to your contacts
Heart Fitness
 - Uses flash and camera to read pulse through finger ... works well, pretty accurate, paid version will track over time.
GoSkyWatch
 - I use it alongside my son w/ his telescope to help identify what we're looking at. 
Cragslist
 - I actually prefer to view listings on my iPhone, organization and photo display better than through their normal web view.
EveryTrail
 - I use this to track hikes and create nice trail summaries, with photos geolocated, and a beautiful full-screen display for PC sharing.
 - I also use MotionX GPS, which has some great features, but the sharing is not as nice as with EveryTrail.
Geocaching
 - If you're into geocaching, this is a handy app and comes in useful when you have some time to kill unexpectedly.  Real-time cache lookup and hunt without planning ahead!

Offline Poppi

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 05:19:57 pm »
30 year computer programmer and network admin guy here....   just FYI...   Not saying apps are a bad thing, only very handy.  Most of the Apps are third party products and the information on your smartphones is wide open for them to collect personal information, even though Apple "disagrees" with the policy.  It's all part of "marketing"...  Google Kim Kommando and check out her web site for the info...   

John

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 05:57:50 pm »
Talking about angry birds, there are many in this genre that are great:

Plant vs. Zombies - is a fun, fast and quick thinking game
Cut the rope - is a brain and dexterity game that is a blast
Doodle jump - is frustratingly great - so many versions too
Flight Controller - land lots of planes and helicopters in this one
Cave Bowling - a twist on angry birds
Monster Island - great thinking game, fun graphics, many levels - 5 stars
Doodle Hanger - swing your money to safety
Fat Jump - a healthy food group version of Doodle Jump
Cut the Buttons - work a pair of scissors and drop buttons in a cup
Ace Repeater - is SIMON, looks exactly like it, oh the memories

check out the youtube videos of the above games. Monster Island really is a blast, all are strategy and control.

For something different Hangman RSS is a slick looking hangman game that uses CURRENT HEADLINES to created sentences with missing words you need to fill in before completing your hangman - from easy to expert, you get news headlines to try and fill out, and can read the entire article when done - it updates when internet is available and keeps the news headlines in the memory for offline games.

And don't forget to try that UNBLOCK ME game I posted with 4200 block puzzles, its a good time waster :)

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 12:58:10 am »
Taptalk
Droid flashlight
ESPN
College Football
Gasbuddy
Pandora
Check Please
Bunny Shooter (Very addictive!)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 07:19:51 pm »

I uploaded and sent via tapatalk from the backyard.

Offline gumrosin

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 05:13:23 am »
I like Angry Birds

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 12:25:25 am »
Toniight I downloaded Twonky Mobile onto my ipod. Now I can stream music ,videos,and photos directly to our new smart tv. It automatically turns the tv to the streaming media and returns it to the original source when you leave the wonky app.
Thumbs up so far that is so easy to use!! I also have the samsung remote app that is every bit as functional as the original remote,plus easy to see in the dark.

Offline paindragon1

• New Bee
  • <vacant space>
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 12:42:44 am »
"Beehive Manager" for Android is my favorite app so far.  I'd post a link to it, but I'm too new to post links here =(
Veni vidi, fecit mulsi.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 01:00:27 am »
Paindragon1,is this the app?
http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/productivity/beehive-manager_bdttq.html

Until you are able to post,send a link to a mod and mention the post you want to attach to. It usually doesn't take too long. :)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 01:02:10 am »
I loaded the twonky server app on my pc and it set up easily to stream online videos to my tv too.More on it after playing it more.

Offline paindragon1

• New Bee
  • <vacant space>
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 01:06:40 am »
Paindragon1,is this the app?
<snip>
Until you are able to post,send a link to a mod and mention the post you want to attach to. It usually doesn't take too long. :)

Yes it is!  I'll keep that in mind.

Also, i've been playing the heck out of "Barrage" which is the old school Tank game where you figure out pitch and speed of your weapons and try to blow up the other tanks.
Veni vidi, fecit mulsi.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 06:18:15 pm »
Ken:

Since I'm fully connected from PC Workstation to HDTV via HDMI does the Twonky do anything for me?

Without a doubt (at least for us) having PC/HDTV as a single functioning unit (okay, minus wireless mouse and keyboard) there is never content, streaming or otherwise that we can't play.

I forget to mention my guilty pleasure (not for everyone - be confident in your virus protection and such things) but www.tubeplus.me is likely my most used website - it is like Netflix, every movie, every TV show - all streaming or in torrents for the more daring people.

I use a pretty cool app now call WiFi Streamer which lets me just enter my IP addy (I keep it bookmarked for many iPod apps) and when I lauch the app, it lists EVERY song I have in my iPod, allowing me to play the song by clicking on the TV screen and listening thru my bada$$ sound system.

Where it comes in handy is when at other people's houses, connect up to their wifi and and play anything you saved in mp3.

Of course I have a dozen different apps for uploading/downloading any type of file, I just like this one cause of it's ease for me to continue playing an audiobook (in mp3) I'm listening to: on the way to work thru the cars aux sound, at work thru the sound reduction headphones, in the car on the way home and then right to the sound system while surfing.

I have a docking station/alarm clock/8 watt desktop unit that rocks too, but something about having the option seeing all my files, assorted the way I like them on the TV gives me that giddy "Aint technology sweet feeling".

I'm at 529 apps now, paid about $25 for all them - I still use apps fire every day to get the "Free for a short time" apps, but the cool part is ALL 529 apps fit on just 4 pages in VERY specific folders that I created as I collected stuff - amazingly, I can literally find EVERY ONE of those apps in 2 clicks with no need to search. Scary part - I never thought I'd want or need 529 apps or programs with any computer like thing.

I need to remember to screen capture the pages and folders, it might help someone get organized better. My friend Mike's kinds have a few hundred apps and probably 60 pages to scroll through - I'd go nuts without order.

PS... I think there was a question at the top of this post lolol

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 07:58:43 pm »
You know you're an app addict when...  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 09:16:20 pm »
John,
In your setup I would say no need for twonky.
My PC is still in a seperate room from the HDTV. As is my attached server because I spend a lot of web time when others are watching the tv.However it is nice to be able to stream wirelessly when the time arises. I also found a swipeit  app on I tunes that lets my ipod content   such as videos and photos we took be displayed directly to the tv without even having to change source on the tv. Bet I can get Jen to scream sometime with that!! :-D :-D
Exploring is just as much fun as the apps themselves. :)

Offline mulesii

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 01:35:27 pm »
CamScanner+
 - Great for snapping a photo of a page, whiteboard, etc. and automatically cleaning it up
CamCard
 - Scan a business card, does a great job with OCR of the contents and automatically adds to your contacts
Heart Fitness
 - Uses flash and camera to read pulse through finger ... works well, pretty accurate, paid version will track over time.
GoSkyWatch
 - I use it alongside my son w/ his telescope to help identify what we're looking at. 
Cragslist
 - I actually prefer to view listings on my iPhone, organization and photo display better than through their normal web view.
EveryTrail
 - I use this to track hikes and create nice trail summaries, with photos geolocated, and a beautiful full-screen display for PC sharing.
 - I also use MotionX GPS, which has some great features, but the sharing is not as nice as with EveryTrail.
Geocaching
 - If you're into geocaching, this is a handy app and comes in useful when you have some time to kill unexpectedly.  Real-time cache lookup and hunt without planning ahead!

Brian - great apps, thanks for the information.

the rest of the posts must be from those of you who have way too much time on your hands.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 02:32:09 pm »
Ken. A good movie app (even better with Firefox with Adblock) is crackle or www.crackle.com. A decent collection of tv/movie stuff but it does push commercials albeit 30 second ones. Adblock seamlessly cuts out the ads out so the movies play uninterrupted.

Let me see if I can put all 4 screenshots of my iPod showing my 520 apps on 4 very logical pages of folders.

Did this post with Tapatalk. It's so nice only having 4 pages to go through, seeing sloppy app management frustrates me.