Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New at bees and brand new at blogging  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Riet

• Brood
New at bees and brand new at blogging
« on: March 13, 2008, 06:01:43 pm »
Hey, I just registered for this forum.  Heard about it from a friend.  Started beekeeping last year with one hive with my 12 year old son.  After catching a swarm from my hive, we split it three ways and 2 of those have survived so far.  Today I opened up the dead hive.  The bees starved, but I am puzzled by the presence of cells filled with tiny bright white worm shaped crumbs in them in some of the frames inthe lower 2 supers.  Also there are slews of bees stuck face first in empty cells.  I am wondering how I can still utelize those frames.  Is their any way of getting them out, or can I melt the wax and strain them out?  I hope I am doing the right thing using this forum , because that is a first for me too.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: New at bees and brand new at blogging
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 08:12:10 pm »
You can just put new bees into that hive, they'll clean up the mess.

Welcome to the forum!  Please update your profile with your location so we know where you're posting from.   That way you can get some more local info.  Enjoy your bees! http://annzoid.com/images/smileys/bee.gif

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 08:58:42 pm »
Freeze the frames they probably have wax moth. When you have bees for a hive put those frames in.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:18:08 pm »
Hey welcome to the forums,. If you get a chance,try out the ventrilo chat program in the voice chat section!!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 12:45:21 am »
Riet, welcome to our forum.  So nice that you have been told about us by a friend, that is good, the word of mouth.  You will find this place to be an excellent place to spend good, quality time, you will make friends.  Ask all the questions you need to, you will always get great answers.  About the bees face first in the cells, the bees will clean them out, they are excellent housekeepers and like to keep their colonies really clean.  Too bad that you lost one colony, but keep that chin up, there is always tomorrow and you will do well with your bees.  Enjoy your stay here, ask lots of questions, that is how we learn.  Have a beautiful and wonderful day, with lots more of these great days to come.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service