Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Easiest first cutout ever  (Read 2357 times)

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
Easiest first cutout ever
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:34:16 pm »
Went to my first cutout, with another beekeeper friend.  It was in a huge partially finished attic.  Hive wasn't very big, but we got there early, got all the comb, the queen, and all the bees.  With the bee vac I think we might have left ten bees behind. (The queen came along with a piece of comb.)  The hive was TOTALLY out in the open on a wall of spray on insulation.  This hive had just about 0 honey stores - either because it was fairly new or because the hive was losing a lot of bees to two sidelight windows in the attic.  Foragers apparently would get attracted to the light, get confused (the windows were really deep from inside, like 6 feet deep), and buzz against the windows until they died.  I'm not sure this hive would have made it through the winter at the rate they were going.  Anyway, here's pics.

"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Easiest first cutout ever
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 11:37:31 pm »
That looks so great!! Looks like lots of brood.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 12:07:34 am »
Great job! Get yourself all geared up for the next one, it's addictive.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline lisascenic

• House Bee
    • My Blog, "How's Robb?"
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 12:44:03 am »
I like the juxtaposition of the wax paddles with all that spray foam.

It looks like you did really well by the bees.

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 07:47:10 am »
Very nice looking removal. The comb looks to be very new and white.
Thanks for sharing.
Joe S.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 09:20:47 am »
Yes, I could definitely see bees piling up around that window as time went on, actually a pretty bad set up they picked out. Was the entrance just on the other side of the hive on the exterior?

Could you see the entrance hole once the hive was removed?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 11:41:24 am »
Actually, the top of the french doors lacked weather stripping, that's where they were coming in and out.  But it still seemed to confuse them.  The hole you see in the foam insulation after removal was just a pocket that led nowhere.  So the homeowner just had to throw in some weather stripping and they were done.  I swept up dead bees by doors and windows, so I left the place super clean.  I always can use them as a good reference.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 12:36:22 pm »
Sounds and looks like a job well done.

I always try to be neat and tidy, seems like the customer always remembers that the most.

Kind of funny how the scout bees found the opening in the door, the swarm moved into a huge open room and they decided on that one spot. Makes you wonder what drew them to that particular spot.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 03:52:02 pm »
I like the looks of that spray insulation there.

anything