Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax Moth Controll  (Read 8003 times)

Offline Blackbird

• House Bee
Wax Moth Controll
« on: May 11, 2007, 04:29:26 pm »
I live in California and cannot get paramoth here, nor do I have a freezer to store frames in. What can I do to keep the wax moths at bay. I initially froze all my frames to kill any moths that were there but they got re infested because I cannot store them in a freezer.

Any brilliant ideas?

Also the frames I have that are infested, can they be put on the hives for the bees to clean up? They are a real mess, not just a small amount of damage. Is it more work for the bees to clean this up or to simply build new comb.

I am so frustrated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Re: Wax Moth Controll
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 05:22:51 pm »
look at the freezer, check out how much electricity it spends-to shorten the things, if it's 10+ years old it's most probably "elektro-eater".
so..buy a new one, an A+ class one, it will repay in matter of few years, and use the old one as a storage for the frames.

if that's not the deal, freeze the frames over and then store them in a bin-bag.

i think that bees will rather repair that comb than build new one.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 07:50:54 pm »
You mean you cannot get regular house type "mothballs" in CA? Use themm whole or crush them.
doak

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 08:37:20 pm »
nope..not in California

http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/conprod/ch7.pdf
I was gonna try and bee funny and say that here in California, we are not allowed to neuter moths...hence...

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 09:35:19 pm »
If I ever had any thought of moving there it's gone now.
doak

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 12:02:37 am »
Oh there are alternatives to moth balls...like BT...

I grow prize winning flowers all organically... I am a native Californian, so I am a bit biased... ;)

Offline Dr/B

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 04:41:53 pm »
Go to Walmart and buy "Moth Ice".  It's the EXACT same active ingredient as the paramoth.  I use this and it works great.  I may have the product name wrong but check the ingredients list to be sure.

Steve

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 10:35:10 pm »
PDB (para dichloro benzene aka ParaMoth) is a carcinogen and those are not allowed by the state in California.  They are also not allowed by me in my beehive.  :)  Even as moth ice etc., it's still a carcinogen and still not legal in California.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 09:32:51 am »
http://www.hidhut.com/catalog/xentari-bt-p-31.html

cheaper than moth balls too,  even if you buy them at Walmart.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Dr/B

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 10:17:03 pm »
Is xentari FDA approved for use in a beehive in any State?  Just curious.

If we all need to stay away from  "non-approved" products, then this is an important question.

Out of the commonly used mite chemicals in this business, how many are actually FDA approved for application in beehives? (i.e. apistan, sucrocide, thymol, terramycin, coumaphos, oxalic acid, etc...)
 (I know the answer)

Just to clarify, I only use PDB in equipment that is not being used by my bees infected with wax moths, and only for a short duration, until the wax moths are dead.  This equipment is then allowed to vent for a period, before putting it back in use. 

I have my opinions as to my choice of chemicals I use.  I'm growing bees, not honey right now.  As long as I don't eat my bees, I think I'll be alright.

oh yeah.........
Alcoholic beverages, bath soap, toothpaste, shampoo and deodorant contain carcinogens, but I also use these products.

Steve

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 10:55:23 pm »
>Is xentari FDA approved for use in a beehive in any State?  Just curious.

Bt was approved as safe for humans and bees and effective for control of Wax moths by the EPA.  The certification cost more than the company could make on it, so the certification has now lapsed.
-------------------

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 10:28:01 am »
I found Xentari in my local area for $15 for a 1lb package. Google xentari and go to the Mfg (Valent) web site. There you will find a tel. that # that will get you in contact with a local distributor . It is use on a lot of fruits and vegetables and is approved for organic use where agree wg is not.

Here is a technical study sheet:
Would not let me post the link!!! :-x
John 3:16

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 11:53:30 am »
-------------------

anything