Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: charging  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
charging
« on: May 31, 2009, 11:57:41 am »
Should I charge for doing a cutout and if so how much?
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline organicfarmer

• House Bee
Re: charging
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 12:13:01 pm »
Absolutely you should charge for such a service. i ask nothing for swarm retrieval (maybe for gas if it's a distance away) but for removal from structures (tree, house...) anywhere from $200 and up depending on distance, location and size of colony, situation...
Many have given their general reasoning behind their pricing here. Some charge per hour, other evaluate the task, but in any case it should be clear to the homeowner what your job entails and what they should expect (in my case it is their responsibility to put things back together - i give them general instructions)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 01:33:37 pm »
i don't, but i am kind of picky about what i take.  pickier after that attic cutout!  i don't want a business.  it's just a hobby and learning experience for me.  if you charge and what you charge are up to you BUT  make sure that if you are taking money for a service you are not running afoul of the local ordinances.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 02:31:17 pm »
This really depends on the area you live in and what you want to get out of doing cut-outs.  I charged last year, but have reconsidered it this year because WA has been cracking down on people who provide handyman-type services without a license.

You have to be a registered contractor to do any kind of work on a structure and to be registered, you have to have bond and insurance.  At 2 cut-outs per month, I'd have to charge $1000 per cut-out to make that work.  I'd have to do a volume like JP (which isn't available here, even if I wanted to) or already be in the home repair business to be able to fulfill the requirements of the state of WA.  So, I work below the radar and consider it part of the hobby.  I also feel no obligation to do jobs that aren't fun when I'm working for free - no poisoned bees - no third story eaves, etc.

So, charging is great if it doesn't expose you to greater risk.  You might want to check what kind of ridiculous laws you have to work around in your state.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 03:49:17 pm »
Find out what the average going rate is in your area.  If you can't legally charge, tell them what the average rate is and that you would gladly accept a donation for removing their bees.

Most who perform removals, start charging a fee at some point due to the complexity of certain jobs.

This removal may be relatively easy or quite difficult. If you can legally charge and perform the task successfully, as you will be dealing with your own personal learning curve, you should get paid for your time, if you feel you should.

If your motive is to simply attain another colony for your apiary, it may be more valuable to you to get the job and not charge, but inevitably it is of course your decision to charge or not, in the end.

What is that colony worth to you? There lies the rub.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 07:27:04 pm »
for swarm removal of 15' or less that are on a branch or the side of something, no charge.

for cut outs that can be easily gotten to, like the last one I posted no charge, but if I need scaffoding or a boom lift I expect the customer to pick up that charge.

I do not make repairs to the house or structure, if it is just nailing a few boards back on then no problem, but no guarantee of anything.

I only work local and will pick what I want to do, it is easy to just say no and walk away.

I guess if you charged $100 that would cover the wood for a hive and foundation, and a little gas money.

This is just a hobby for me so adding hives is really all I am after.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 03:57:56 pm »
Some people who do removals work with a licensed contractor who does all of the actual cutting of the structures. I have heard that thers 'buy the bees' for a buck or so and then get paid for removing their own bees.

Brenda

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 06:36:01 pm »
This is just me, and (Maybe) just Florida; but I think in Fl. if you do the cutout and leave the reassembly for the homeowner you can charge. (I think understudy is a Florida guy). I know the rules for electrical well enough, but I'd have to go speak to the building department before doing one. (I've done zero but if I got a 'grapevine' one, I'd talk to the building department.) No harm asking and with lots of honesty and courtesy (esp in a smaller jurisdiction) they can be quite helpful.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 09:36:40 pm »
Cutouts in Austin TX start at $75/hour.
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

anything