Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Let's See Your Honey House!  (Read 9975 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Let's See Your Honey House!
« on: March 08, 2011, 06:49:37 pm »
I would love to show you my honey house but I don't have one right now. Well, my wife would beg to differ!  :-D 

I usually don't keep up with honey demands but more and more people are asking me for honey and my list of regulars is growing. I really need a heated honey house so I can have liquid honey available throughout the year.

So I would love to see some of you member's honey houses with any specifics you might care to share. I guess we all get to this point eventually.

Small or large, I would love to see pictures or even a video of your set up.

Thanks for any/all participation!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: Let's See Your Honey House!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 07:48:15 pm »
My suggestion is to find a restaurant to sell honey to.  As part of the deal, negotiate to use their kitchen as your honey house.  Then you don't have to build a honey house, heat a honey house, or meet state food processing inspection requirements.  Everybody wins.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:15:36 pm »
coon###;get you and old fridge or deepfreeze and put a light bulb and fan on a thermostat and you got you a honey heater. it holds a bunch off honey
to bee or not to bee

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 08:24:14 pm »
That's exactly what I've got.  I just used it to bottle up a few 1# that a couple people ordered.  I used to warm them up in the oven until my wife accidentally turned it on to make the kids lunch.  Burned honey stinks is hard to clean out and cost over $500 to replace the burner.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 08:31:21 pm »
Yeah, that's what Bailey does, I think I want something bigger though Big Daddy. Really need something bigger.

I'm pretty sure Danno has a good sized house he could show us.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 10:34:45 pm »
  pics moved to photo - 8-)  nice camode- :lol:-RDY-B
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 02:23:02 am by rdy-b »

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 10:46:25 pm »
Thanks RDY-B, nice operation. Would love to see more pics. So would you mind mentioning some of the particulars of the building?

Current heating system, interior wall material (galvenized metal?) floor, etc...

Thanks!

...JP

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 11:04:53 pm »
JP, I thought you seen mine while you were here. Most honey houses around here are about the same.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 11:07:34 pm »
Iddee, I did see it but never entered it, besides it was pretty darn cold when I came up your way. Have you been using it? Can't remember if you still do or not.

...JP

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 11:26:13 pm »
 :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 11:39:55 pm by rdy-b »

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 05:50:01 am »
iddee

That sure is perty and even portable.  Is it heated?  Have any problems with shb?  Id be worried about theft being its portable and all.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wadehump

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 09:22:41 am »
Iddee, Thats what my grandfather used to call them.Hope i dont get any honey that smells like that :evil:

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 09:48:13 am »
iddee

That sure is perty and even portable.  Is it heated?  Have any problems with shb?  Id be worried about theft being its portable and all.

Definitely no mold issues cuz the roof is likely ventilated well after Jp's hunting trip.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 10:11:24 am »
 :lau: :lau:
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 10:26:37 am »
rdy-b

That's downright impressive. 

My "honey house" is my 3 car garage at this point.  I store everything offsite.  I then get large clean cardboard sheets from where I work that are to be recycled and cover the floor.  I trailer the extractor, uncapping stations, settling tank in (3-miles away) and roll them in on the cardboard.  I extract, wheel everything out, stack up the cardboard to go back into recylcling, hose everything off, re-trailer and haul back to storage.  It's a full day but at this point I don't have the volume to justify a true honey house.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 12:05:35 pm »
Good one Iddee, you got me, even though I could have sworn there was something in your yard that looked like that.  :cheer:

...JP

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 01:10:45 pm »
No, Iddee doesn't have to worry about theft - just tipping by teenagers.

Rdy-b  that's real nice - maybe some day.  (Dang, just recently got over my tractor envy, now I have honey house envy to replace it!  And I don't even have honey to need one yet!)

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 07:52:22 pm »
JP after watching all your videos of cutouts and swarm captures i figured you might need my address to send all those bees up this way :)  Maybe one day i will be nuts enuff to do cut outs and swarm removals with no veil and sweep the bees off the comb with my bare hands  :)  Chris

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 08:33:37 pm »
JP, I thought you seen mine while you were here. Most honey houses around here are about the same.

I grewup using one them, a two seater. In the summer when it got hot and dry honeybees would always be hanging around in there.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 12:42:46 am »
Chris, you come down with your woodenware, give me a hand with some cut outs and go home with new hives. That goes for anyone who would like to play with some cut out bees.  :-D

...JP

anything