Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: stacking supers on hives....  (Read 3627 times)

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
stacking supers on hives....
« on: April 26, 2007, 01:47:53 pm »
I read somewhere once that it's a good idea to offset your supers about 1\2" front to back.  The idea behind it was so the foragers can access the super directly insead of having to make their way from the bottom entrance up thru the hive to get to the super their working on - plus the benefit of ventilation.  There is the issue of rain getting in the hive doing this but in my case I use 3' X 2' 5V barn tin ( w\rock ) on top of all my hives for a front and back 6" overhang, so water isn't a problem.  The tin helps to protect the hive from the elements and the bees like to sit on the front porch and watch it rain...

I did this a few days and the bees are using the 1\2" offset to return to the super. It seems like a good idea in theory but I if it actually makes a difference is another thing.  Anyone else do this...?

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: stacking supers on hives....
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 01:48:48 pm »
Or you could use a top entrance.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 01:50:50 pm »
I have to wonder about the amount of space one is opening up to invaders when they do this. Wax moths, Small Hive Beatles, ants, wasp, robbers, mice, others.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline bozbee

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 02:06:01 pm »
So glad you asked this SteveSC, I was thinking it myself this morning. New beekeeper myself and added my supers 3 days ago. I was thinking "it would be easier if they could go directly to the supers and not waste time traveling through the brood and bees". Think I'll try that this evening, prob just enough space for the workers to enter.

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 02:11:16 pm »
Or you could use a top entrance.

When you say top entrance, are you talking about an entrance @ the super....? Can you explain..?  

I have top entrances ( 1 1\2" holes ) on my hive bodies but anything above that is closed off ( except the vented inner cover ).

I have to wonder about the amount of space one is opening up to invaders when they do this. Wax moths, Small Hive Beatles, ants, wasp, robbers, mice, others.

I thought about that also.  With a strong hive there shouldn't be a problem.  The bees seem to have taken right to the offsets...we'll see.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Think I'll try that this evening, prob just enough space for the workers to enter.

That's all I have open - just enough for the bees to enter and leave.  Let me know how and if they use the offset.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 04:10:41 pm »

Those are the top entrances I use.
Michael Bush on top entrances.
http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopentrance.htm

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 05:07:18 pm »
Steve SC, I simply drill a hole in the front of the top left quarter of every super I use. Rarely rain gets in there. (Unless the rain is flying sideways)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 08:33:09 pm »
I hate drilling holes in equipment.  I still have a lot that come back to haunt me.  I like a top entrance.  Setting the hive back can be a quick fix for a hot day when the bees are bearding, but I'd prefer a more water resistant plan since the water will run right down through the hive with that arrangement.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin