Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hmm do I have something going wrong in my hive?  (Read 1741 times)

Offline BAH

• House Bee
Hmm do I have something going wrong in my hive?
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:39:03 pm »
Today I was sitting around and noticed about 3-4 bees on the ground. They are dying without a question. Some look young and some look old, but they are in the grass trying to climb the grass blades and one was trying to fly but couldn't. I checked the hive today for mites, just a visual inspection. Queen is laying great patterns on the new frames. I am just a lil concerned with some of the ones on the ground. Here is a video of the one that was trying to fly it seems.
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=588716334502184
Should I be worried?

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
Re: Hmm do I have something going wrong in my hive?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:32:35 pm »
You will often find dead or dying bees in small numbers around the hive - just natural attrition usually. In full season 1000+ new bees may be hatching each day, and a similar number will be reaching the end of their lives. If you find many bees in front of the hive twitching spasmodically, you could have a poisoning issue, but otherwise I wouldn't worry.

Offline BAH

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 08:39:08 pm »
Thank you, was just making sure. I didn't want to be caught off guard.

Offline Tightwad

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 10:11:13 am »
I have the same thing going on with one of my hives. But there are around 50 to 75 bees on the ground for the last two days or so. I have always seen bees dying on the ground but this is out in the yard bought 4 ft from the hive. And to day we found a pile of bees by the back door porch light. They are claiming up your leg when your out by the hives. My dogs are stepping on them and getting stung. Help.

Offline BAH

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 03:16:42 pm »
Not sure what that can be. You may want to start a thread with the title reading "Bees are dying and seems bad, please help". Just in case some don't keep up with past post. I would've said poison but you said something about the porch light. So I am lost... but will follow your thread, if you start one. There is a lot of good help here so please post and let's see who can give you some advice. Sorry to hear about your girls  :'(

anything