Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Inspection and confusion, need sage advice  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Blackbird

• House Bee
Inspection and confusion, need sage advice
« on: July 24, 2004, 08:26:40 pm »
I did an inspection today and I'm not sure if what I saw is good.

I have one large super and three mediums right now. the large and one medium were brood, now they are storing honey in the medium and only the large is brood. This doesn't seem good to me.
The other two medium supers are being drawn out from foundation. One is full of honey and the other is part full, part drawn and part waiting to be drawn. I swaped these so the less full one is just below the full one and above the med. super that was for brood and is now honey.

I did not see the queen or any new eggs. I did see a fair amount of capped brood. I did not look at all 10 frames.

Also the bees had built a LOT of comb off the bottom of the bottom super. All drone comb.

I would appreciate any thoughts. Does this sound normal or should I be on the look out

Thanks Everyone,

Stacie

Offline Blackbird

• House Bee
Inspection and confusion, need sage advice
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 01:27:16 am »
maybe if I rephrase this

Why are my bees storing honey in the brood area when there's pleanty of room for honey above.
Should I be woried about my queen?

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: Inspection and confusion, need sage advice
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 01:48:09 am »
Quote from: Blackbird
I did an inspection today and I'm not sure if what I saw is good.

I have one large super and three mediums right now. the large and one medium were brood,

I did not see the queen or any new eggs. I did see a fair amount of capped brood. I did not look at all 10 frames.

It seems that you have had good queen. When those bees come out the hive was really too tigth. I suppose that your hive has swarmed.

With that brood area you should have about 5-6 supers.  

3 for broods:
The lowest for pollen and reserve space
2 for brood

2  supers half empty for new honey

and the rest 2-3 supers for honey waiting for capping.

Now it is middle of summer on Northern hemeiphere and bees need a lot of space.

I always use the extra space in the lowest super. There it does not need warming and bees can expand  there if they are plenty.

When 3 brood frame come out they need space one whole super.  10 brood frames produces  4 box bees or more.