Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Swarm Left & Came Back...How to Collect HELP!  (Read 7574 times)

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
Re: The Swarm Left & Came Back...How to Collect HELP!
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 12:59:02 am »
Please don't leave us hanging!  What happened?  Did you catch the swarm?

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 01:06:46 am »
Well, the bees went back ontot he stump, so I will have to try to be brave and scoop them somehow off the trunk, into a pail or something. then shake them into the hive.

Here is a photo of them whilst they were in the tree:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2008, 01:29:34 am »
Well, the bees went back ontot he stump, so I will have to try to be brave and scoop them somehow off the trunk, into a pail or something. then shake them into the hive.

Here is a photo of them whilst they were in the tree:

DayValley, get you a cardboard box, smear a little lemongrass oil on one side, walk up to the cluster, have no fear, shake them good and they will fall into the box, if you can cut the limb with the cluster then move the cluster into a hive box by shaking them. its that simple. If you have a frame of brood and honey place that along with some drawn out comb and some other frames that have starter strips or foundation and they'll do the rest. Swarms are fun, if you get stung, its usually by accident. If you can't cut the limb or shake them, gently take handfuls of bees and place them in the box or hive body, whatever and be on the lookout for a tight cluster around the queen. You'll know if you got her or not by the bee's response. If the vast majority go back to the limb she's still there. If they stay in the box, you got her. There will be a certain amount that go back to the limb anyway, just be concerned with the majority. Have fun!!!!

....JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 02:15:37 am »
i have seen the sheet thing and it's pretty slick.  just a big white flat sheet to brush them on to.  lay down sheet.  put hive on sheet.  bush bees into hive.  try for queen, but they may just enter hive if you are lucky.  a little something in the hive to entice them won't hurt.

i also found that a stiff piece of plastic sheet was handy if i had to get a clump...like the clump with the queen.  you can scoot the whole clump onto the plastic and dump it in the hive. 

what a great experience for you.  i have not gotten to do this yet.  keep details since you don't have a camera!!

I almost always do free standing swarms that way, lay down a sheet center hive under swarm and knock swarm off and onto hive.  Most will start marching into the hive like a garrison of troops.  for the rest you might have to knock them off a couple more times.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 02:18:43 am »
[Jeff, not sure why you said that? ]

It was a joke....

Last year my swarms didn't even stick around for half and hour.

She gets a swarm and it hangs out for dinner and movie!

This thread has had a number of good options suggested.
Most require timely action by the beekeeper to keep the bees.

I think I read an attempt to sweep some of the bees in the hive without much success.
I think you felt there were too many bees in the air.
You needed to be patient and wait a few minutes.
For they always resettle upon the cluster with the queen quickly.

In a PM I suggested using an old comb to bait (walk) the bees onto.
Then the frame could be returned to a hive with most of the bees.
Brushing, shaking, and smoking are extremely over rated, trust a bee's sense of smell.

There is a cry for help in the thread title.
We can do little more than offer you our experience and advice.
If you chose not to try any of it, we should not feel responsible if they leave.
Pictures are nice to describe the situation, but its not going to make the bees stay.

If you want them, you have to do something to get and keep them.
If you don't, then let everyone know you just plan to let them leave.
Beekeeping is not a spectators sport.

Jeff
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2008, 08:32:05 am »
When brushing bees off of things, you need to be assertive.  Trying to do it tentatively is a very bad idea.  Use sharp, quick, decisive strokes.  You want to surprise the bees. If you give them warning they hold on tighter and you roll them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2008, 07:42:30 pm »
Thanks to all of you for your advice.  I couldn't through a rope over the branch with a stone, as I didn't have the strength to throw that high.  Then of course the bees moved.

I have a thread 'Swarm Update'   I am hoping I got queenie in the box...hhhmmm I dunno