Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beehives and Laundry Lines--Can They Coexist?  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Bee Curious

• House Bee
Beehives and Laundry Lines--Can They Coexist?
« on: July 28, 2012, 05:55:01 pm »
I am planning on getting my first hive next year and have laid out where I want to place the hive, but I also love to hang my laundry out.  The clothes lines run about 4' to the side of where I want to place the hive, and would be parallel to the side of the hive, running back behind the hive (whose entrance will face a 6' high fence to get the bees to fly high out away from my lot and over an alley.)  This fence is where the clothes lines start and they run about 40' in the direction behind the hive.  I have read about bees "spotting" laundry that is hung out.  Is there a safe distance to hang things where they would be less likely to get soiled?  I have plenty of line to hang back behind  the hive-to-be.

Alley    

____fence____________________
                   ||  my yard
           X      ||
       hive      ||
                   ||
                   ||
                   ||
                   ||  <--  laundry lines
                   ||
                   ||

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 06:17:19 pm by Bee Curious »

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Beehives and Laundry Lines--Can They Coexist?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 06:46:11 pm »
Turn the hive so they fly away from the line.

Offline Bee Curious

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 07:44:38 pm »
I want the hive entrance to point parallel to the line, but in the direction of the fence.  I live in an urban area and don't want to point the entrance at neighbors or into my yard (where they can veer into neighbors' yards.)  I want them to go up and over the fence and alley, above people level.  

So, aligning the hive entrance parallel to the laundry lines, the bees won't fly out aimed at the laundry, but I imagine there'll be some buzzing around in the area of the hive and don't want my laundry spotted up.  If I hung the laundry back 10' behind from the hive, would that do?

And, does bee poop stain the laundry--or will it wash out easily?

Inquiring minds want to know. :bee:

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 08:01:53 pm »
I have never tried to wash bee poop.   

But on the bee flight, They will fly up and over the fence, if that is their flyway.   But they will turn 180 degrees in the air also.    Give it a try and see what they will do.   

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 08:28:28 pm »
One of my bee yards is about 300yds from the property owner's clothes line. Ever spring her laundry gets some spots. Of course I do have around 100 hives there.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Bee Curious

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 08:42:05 pm »
That raises another question.  Since bees "hold it" all winter, and then do cleansing flights en masse when the weather warms up...once that is over with, how often do they do cleansing flights?  I have read that eating honey causes them to poop more than eating sugar syrup/candy, but I'm thinking, maybe there is much less "danger" to the laundry once  foraging begins? 

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 08:47:23 pm »
The fence is a good idea but the only way to insure that the flight lines are above traffic is to fence on all four sides. Ever heard the phrase "to make a beeline" that is the bees point A to point B most direct route so if a nectar source is 180 degrees from the fence expect to see them clearing the top and sides of the hive at full speed and no higher than needed.
Note; if you observe them gaining altitude then the source is further away.
Don't know about the laundry since I have a housekeeper and as long as my shorts are clean and folded I never bother myself with it.

Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 08:49:02 pm »
BTW, if my wife or mother in law ever decide to read beemaster I'll probably find my shorts shoved somewhere unmentionable. ;)
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

anything