Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Obs. hive moisture on glass  (Read 2396 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
Obs. hive moisture on glass
« on: May 20, 2008, 10:05:04 pm »
My 3 deep frame obs. hive gets a little moisture on the inside of the lexan from time to time.  Only the two lowest frames are occupied for now.  Should I ventilate the top?  Would small holes drilled in the lid be enough or must I add vent ports?  Could I remedy this with bees in the hive?  Shall I wait and see how it goes when the weather warms and the bees increase?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Obs. hive moisture on glass
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 07:24:38 am »
>My 3 deep frame obs. hive gets a little moisture on the inside of the lexan from time to time.

You need more ventilation.

>  Only the two lowest frames are occupied for now.  Should I ventilate the top?

Or the sides or where vever.

>  Would small holes drilled in the lid be enough or must I add vent ports?

I'd put a 1/2" or more hole and cover on the inside with #8 hardware cloth.  If you go on top and use #7 you can use it to feed pollen in times of dearth or late winter.

>  Could I remedy this with bees in the hive?

Just haul it outside, and do it.  If you like take the frames of bees out and set them in a nuc while you work.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesobservationhives.htm#working

>  Shall I wait and see how it goes when the weather warms and the bees increase?

I would try to remedy it.
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesobservationhives.htm#ventilation
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin