Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cypress Suppliers Sydney?  (Read 3237 times)

Offline CCBee

• New Bee
Cypress Suppliers Sydney?
« on: April 23, 2014, 07:19:00 am »
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and looking for a supplier of cypress pine board in Sydney or Newcastle. I recently acquired a router table and have been knocking up various hive parts with it. I wish to make a couple of hives from cypress as a winter project but I am having a hard time finding a supplier of 240mm boards... Any tip offs would be appreciated...

Also if anyone has worked with cypress for hives before and has any tips about working/weatherproofing/maintaining cypress I would be glad to hear your suggestions...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 07:41:29 am by CCBee »

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
Re: Cypress Suppliers Sydney?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 08:14:22 pm »
I looked into this and the best thing I came up with was floor boards that would have required joining into boards then ripping down to width.  Extra handling and waste negated the cost saving. Now I use structural ply as used in frame bracing in stud frames ( weather resistant but not  'proof' as in marine)
David L

Offline CCBee

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 12:08:55 am »
Thanks Wombat,

Cost isn't really an issue, I'm just keen to try some different materials for the aesthetics and the pleasure of working with wood... I'm thinking of making a Warré hive and really dressing it up nicely as a piece of garden art for the backyard.

I've googled, found and emailed Abbey Cypress in Milperra with my enquiry, I'll see what they come up with. When they get back to me I'll post their reply here.

In the meantime if anyone has any suggestions for a supplier closer to the Central Coast (NSW) I'd be happy to hear.

Offline CCBee

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 03:26:16 am »
FYI:

I just received a reply from Abbey Cypress in Milperra:

"We keep 200 x 25 fine sawn in stock $6.60 l/m  also 250 x 50 fine sawn
$19.60 l/m".

I think I'll go with the 200mm stuff and edge joint it for deep boxes. I reckon if I line the joints up right the sides should pretty much hold themselves together by the finger joints... A bit of extra work but it'll keep me out of trouble over the next few months. $6.60/m seems pretty reasonable too, total cost (materials only) will probably work out roughly the same as what I've paid in the past for unassembled pine boxes.