Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My blue egg chicken -- the Araucana (Easter Egg Chicken)  (Read 14731 times)

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
Re: My blue egg chicken -- the Araucana (Easter Egg Chicken)
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 02:02:22 am »
If you would like Coturnix Quail better known as Pharo Quail and other names I have 30 eggs a day from mine a 9 weeks old. They start laying at 6 weeks old and hatch at 17 days. I get 2.00 a doz for there eggs from the house and at farmers markets I get 3.00 a doz. Hatching eggs if you want some I will give you a deal as I have way to many right now as it is not the time of year to market them as all of the farmers markets are done with here. Let me know if you are interested. Same as with any of the other breeds I have here. I have 2 different breeds of heratiage turkeys 2 different breeds of chickens and the quail. I also show so I have good stock

Angi

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 10:49:27 am »
I think that is a great idea, if you don't mind let me know what you have. I would love quail maybe around 60 or so and some of the turkey eggs as well. I would love to hatch out some turkey's. I will do some research on the Pharoh quail. I would like to make sure they could survive here as my plans are to populate the ranch with them. Thank you very much for the offer. Lets put something together...
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 11:00:08 am »
Angi, oh I wish that you lived on this side of the border.  I am looking and looking, can't find someone in B.C. that has eggs they can sell for incubating, nor any chickens that I want, period.  I am not going to stop looking.  I didn't spend any time on the forum for hatch-a-holics because I found the site far too cumbersome to work in.  Maybe I was doing stuff wrong with it, enlighten me if posts can be more easily made.  Have a beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 02:38:15 am »
Just google Coturnix quail they are very easy to riase and they are used allot by falconers for treats and feeding the brids of pray. As well as for training. They also are a big thing in the Asian markets and in specilaty markets. At Whole foods markets they get 5.00 for 10 of them Yuck. I sell 50 or 100. 50 would be 5.00 plus shipping about 12.00 and 100 would be 10.00 plus shipping. Very easy to raise and breed and to eat eggs and meat. They breed at 6 weeks and can start laying as soon as 6 1/2 weeks old. The bleep will start there calling at 4 1/2 to 5 weeks old. The hens do this weard purring thing. There eggs hatch at 17 days. They also do not live but 2 to 3 years if that. but an easy breed. The turkeys I raise are all heritage breeds and they will start laying in the spring. I have Royal Palms which are White with black barring and quite the looker but a smaller breed. They dont dress out very big if you want to eat. Toms at 8 months 20 to 25lbs and hens 10 to 12lbs. Then there is the Black Mottleds they are a bigger bird. I am not sure on weights but they are a much bigger breed. They are only breeding 75% true right now out of the other 25% you will get A miss marked Royal Palm with some brown almost looking like a calico but not, A Silver and a black spanish. All of these breeds were used to making this breed. Also they take up to 2-3 years to get there full plumage. They are black with a little white barring and white splotches. Royal palm I would only be able to ship 6 eggs at a time as I only have one pair and they are 25.00 for 6 as this is a rare breed that we are still working on bringing them back we are moving but slowly. The black mottleds I have a Treo Which is a tom and 2 hens. So I would be able to do a doz of those those would be 35.00 a doz because we are still working on them to get them to breed true. You can go to feathersite.com to look up breeds. The other thing I breed is Standard Dark Cornish and Cuckoo Marans. I also have Indian Runner Ducks in 3 different colors. Let me know in the spring what you would like to do. I have shipped all over the US and knock on wood not a cracked one yet. Look in some of the poultry catalogs and turkeys run for hatching eggs about 45.00 to 55.00 a doz. And young poults 5.95 to 8.95 each min of 15 and plus shipping. Just let me know when you are ready Breeding should began sometime in March for the turkeys just depends on how our weather is. They need so many hrs of sunlight on there heads for them to go into breeding mode.

Angi.

Cindi I will look again what it takes to send eggs to Canada and I will ask a few of the people that has shipped there before. If you were closer to the boarder it is easier to get eggs off that way.

I think that is a great idea, if you don't mind let me know what you have. I would love quail maybe around 60 or so and some of the turkey eggs as well. I would love to hatch out some turkey's. I will do some research on the Pharoh quail. I would like to make sure they could survive here as my plans are to populate the ranch with them. Thank you very much for the offer. Lets put something together...
F

Offline mudlakee

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007, 06:58:41 pm »
I raised Araucana Bantams for a long time.There a couple of web sites you might like one is Eggbid.com You can buy most any bird or egg you can think of. Ck on what people have said about the sellers you will see how. Araucana.com is a good place to learn about Araucanas full size or bantam. Be careful when buying some people will sell most anything as Araucana at big bucks. True Araucana full size or bantam have no tails and tuffs which are feathers that stick out of each side of their face some straight some curl. If they don't have the tuffs and no tail they are not araucana. The computor that I have will not let me post pictures. I had no problem getting rid of my blue  eggs at all. Now we will see about Honey. Good Luck  Tony

anything