Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Easiest way to split a hardy spring hive.  (Read 2473 times)

Offline gguidester

• New Bee
Easiest way to split a hardy spring hive.
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:16:38 pm »
Read a couple of posts from the past and found a M.Bush one that sounded like I could just separate my 2 hive bodies by putting one on a new bottom board, and walk away.  Would that work.  I have new bodies with foundation ready to set on top of each.  Please help.  Thanks!  gg

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Easiest way to split a hardy spring hive.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 11:36:17 pm »
Only if you make sure the new one has a frame with eggs and and another with brood from one day old to capped.
that is called a walk a way split.
If you had a capped queen cell or a caged queen then it is not a walk a way split.
The new hive has to have a queen or queen cell or means to rear a new queen.
Means to rear a new queen is some eggs or brood not over one day old.
Other wise your new split will just wither away.
 :)doak

Offline gguidester

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 11:49:13 pm »
Thanks!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 03:18:24 pm »
If there is brood in two of the boxes you can just set a bottom board on each side of the hive and go "one for you and one for you" until you have a split.  :)  But this can fail if there is not more than one box with brood in it.  Pay attention to the number of bees in the box and the weight.  A box with a lot of bees and low weight is likely to have brood.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline abeeco

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 03:00:49 pm »
Not sure about WI but out here in the rainy PNW it is still a lil bit early to be thinking about letting bees raise their own queens (reliably) 

If you see lots of drones in your hive/s and the weather ~2+ weeks from now is going to be 60 degrees + then go for it.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 06:11:07 pm »
It's too early here as well.  No drones flying yet.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 11:31:21 pm »
Not sure about WI but out here in the rainy PNW it is still a lil bit early to be thinking about letting bees raise their own queens (reliably) 

If you see lots of drones in your hive/s and the weather ~2+ weeks from now is going to be 60 degrees + then go for it.

Now you tell me, I split a hive 2 weeks ago and it and its parent are doing good do far.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline abeeco

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 05:25:30 am »
Brian, we had very good weather this last weekend. tee shirt and shorts!  I would imagine your virgin had a chance to fly...  if she found drones..hard to say?  you still have some time yet.  I would imagine if we had a few days 60 degrees (right now/ in the next 2 weeks), you would be OK.  Would love to hear your results, either way...

I have not a lot of experience raising queens but have not had the best luck (w/ mating flights) before end of may into early june.  When do you see the first swarms in your micro-climate?  I have seen swarms end of april-1st week of may a few times but I always thought they were escaping packages or migratory bees.

A few of my hives are booming and have plenty of drones.  The rest are very small clusters just starting to build up.

Cali bees nearby?  Could be a good thing for once...

anything