Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: HELP with requeening plz  (Read 3396 times)

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
HELP with requeening plz
« on: May 08, 2007, 07:25:42 pm »
Hey ever one how are you all doing. Im doing ok I have a ? about requeening. I know there cant be a Queen in the hive but on the queen cells can you take them out the same day or is it better to do it befor you get your queen in the mail. Why I ask  im helping a lady up the road from me that I got her swarm from. Well the old hive that swarmd has 21 queen cells and there is no eggs. And the same way with the swarm but there is only 4 queen cells and no queen and the is only one frame she needs to be on the other ones are not drawn out all the way yet. + the old hive is not to nice thay was after my truck for a mile. I woud get out of my truck to see if thay was still after me. Thanks god for bee coveralls and bee gloves lol. The hive was soo bad it sounded like some one was fireing a bb gun at my helmet it was bad. But any ways thanks for all the help. :)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: HELP with requeening plz
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 08:01:23 pm »
Think I'd send a few of those off to have tested for afracianized genes.
JMO
doak

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 08:56:38 pm »
if it had no eggs then they were not likely to be swarm cells. When bees lose a queen they will try to make a bunch of queen cells.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 09:41:57 pm »
I know there not swarm cells there at the top of the frames and the middel.
 In doak 
                    thats a good idea thanks

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 12:30:34 am »
This is not normal behaver for Italian bees. When working with a swarm or a highly agressive colony I use sugar water 1 to 1 ratio and a clean spray bottle. Spray a fine mist, helps to calm them down some. and gives them some goody to lick on.
I would still send some, about 50, in a seal tight contanier in regular rubbing alcohol. Of course if you can get "ALL" the queen cells out and requeen with known stock, all the old bees except the drones would be replaced by the new queen this time of year no later than 8 weeks, maybe 6 weeks.
doak

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 09:14:24 am »
I wouldn't bother having them tested.  I'd just requeen.  Mean bees should not be tolerated.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesrequeeninghot.htm

They probably aren't AFB but that's no reason to keep them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 11:31:20 am »
Michael is right just because there mean dosen't mean they are Africanized.Re-queen
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon