Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: newbie question  (Read 5869 times)

Offline foxman

• House Bee
newbie question
« on: May 28, 2009, 08:50:52 pm »
just got my packages today. installed them at about 10 am, when i went back at 6(to check syrup levels) i noticed the hive on the left had about 30-40 bees around the entrance while the one on the right only had about 6. is this a bad sign for the right hive or should i not worry about it?
P.S
a bee tried to sting me while i installed the first package but after about 45 sec. she got away w/ her stinger will this bee die or does it have a chance of surviving? just curious.

Also heard of this apitherapy. will bee stings be beneficial to bad arthritis/ torn miniscus joint in the knee after surgury failed?
The most dangerous ideas are not those in which we disagree but those in which we all agree upon

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
Re: newbie question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 08:55:49 pm »
just got my packages today. installed them at about 10 am, when i went back at 6(to check syrup levels) i noticed the hive on the left had about 30-40 bees around the entrance while the one on the right only had about 6. is this a bad sign for the right hive or should i not worry about it?
I wouldn't worry yet. Give them a few days. Different hives will ebb and flow with bees throughout the day--they're never identical. Let us know how they look a week from now.

P.S
a bee tried to sting me while i installed the first package but after about 45 sec. she got away w/ her stinger will this bee die or does it have a chance of surviving? just curious.
She might just live if it didn't rip up her insides. :)

Also heard of this apitherapy. will bee stings be beneficial to bad arthritis/ torn miniscus joint in the knee after surgury failed?
Ya, I'd google that -- there are folks who say that works. Have "fun". :)
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline foxman

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 09:07:05 pm »
I will definately let  everyone know of their progress in a week or to
Maybe ill add some pics
thanks for the info and your opinion its greatly appreciated
Ya, I'd google that -- there are folks who say that works. Have "fun". Smiley
its not for me its for my dad if i can get him to do it.
The most dangerous ideas are not those in which we disagree but those in which we all agree upon

Offline WOB419

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 09:30:17 pm »
Foxman,

I use bee stings for a problem that I have with my wrists - I sting each wrist each week.  Arthritis is a common example of an issue that bee sting therapy can help.  The torn miniscus though... don't know.  It can't hurt...well...maybe it can hurt, but just a little.  I find catching the bees with a pair of forceps is a lot easier than with my fingers.  I got my forceps in the fly fishing section of Bass Pro Shops.

BEFORE you start, I would suggest a couple of things:
1) Research apitherapy.  There is a lot of information out there about it that you can find.  You might even be able to find an apitherapist that you can contact.
2) Have an epi-pen available, particularly if your father has never been stung.  Every bee keeper should keep and epi-pen available anyway.  You will need a prescription from your doctor but once you tell him that you are a bee keeper he should give you a prescription readily

I hope your father gives it a try, it might give him some great relieve.  I know that a friend of mine uses it for his arthritis and it really helps.  The first sting is the worst, then it gets better.  After about 5 or 10 he shouldn't mind the stings at all.

Good luck.

ps.  My college (OU) roommate (Eddie Garrett) was from Shawnee, OK.  Any chance that you know him?  We went to college a long time ago, he is probably your father's age.

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 10:33:08 pm »
Go Sooners!!  :-D

I agree with LOBs give them some time, and if she still has her stinger intact and on the inside she will live.
I need to start stinging my knee to see if it helps...

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 11:16:30 am »
Also heard of this apitherapy. will bee stings be beneficial to bad arthritis

YES I have a bad shoulder at times I can't move it and out to the hive I go two stings to it an hour later it's like new :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 12:53:59 pm »
Irwin:
To get some relief from the apitherapy, is it important to be stung on the bad shoulder, or can it just be the same arm or whatever?
-Mike
-Mike

Offline foxman

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 02:38:38 pm »
some pics of my hives as promised
[/URL] [/img]

heres a link if they dont show up image shack gallerry
is this norm after 1 day?
wob i do not believe i know eddie

Offline foxman

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 02:42:26 pm »
some more pics

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 04:09:04 pm »
Irwin:
To get some relief from the apitherapy, is it important to be stung on the bad shoulder, or can it just be the same arm or whatever?
-Mike
Yes but it's best to get it in the bad joint leave the stinger in until it stops pumping. And make sure you have an epi pen or benadryl don't how to spell it and to lazy to go get it and look. handy just in case something go's wrong. All I can say is that it work's great for me.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 04:25:59 pm by Irwin »
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 04:28:34 pm »
It looks to me like they have the A/C on... ill bet its about 90 deg. there thats what my bees did before I put a screened bottom on their pad.
 :yippiechick:
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 06:35:10 pm »
You took the words right out of my mouth.  I think you have a ventilation problem.  Do you have the top opened up a bit??? SBB??

Offline foxman

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 09:19:09 pm »
no i need to crack the top (every book & movie i watched said nothing about using the top entrance the 1st week)
have sbb but accidently left the corrugated sheet in
also  found out my neighbor was using a large diesel welder about 1,000 ft away would this affect them?
here they are about an hour later

also was it a good idea to put them in the trees with plent of shade w/ oklahoma wheather getting into the upper 90s
also ive heard of chilled brood, does too much heat do the same thing but backwards(heat instead of chill)?
sorry about the stupid questions i just figured i can get faster more experienced help from you guys than spending days reading about text-book perfect scenarios

Offline foxman

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 09:20:22 pm »
also is there a certain distance i should open the top or just slide it all the way forward?

Offline foxman

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 11:22:25 pm »
sorry the above pics are wrong
here are the right pics from an hour later

man my html teacher would have my head if she saw that
"always check more than once before saving or submitting"

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 12:02:05 am »
So they look better now.  You removed the bottom of the SBB???  And cracked the top a bit?

Offline foxman

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 12:12:24 am »
i cracked the top but am leaving the sbb in until morning just in case the temp drops tonight due to rain or such if its not cold out tommorrow i will remove it.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 12:14:02 am »
Whats cold??  I would think you can just remove the bottom and no worries now

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 01:34:09 am »
Your good to pull them.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 07:13:33 am »
Just my two cents about apitherapy. Before attempting consult with your medical doctor, he/she may not be privy to it but could still guide you some on some do's and don'ts.

As for as benadryl goes, people have been known to take it before entering the bee yard as a preventative to possible severe reactions from stings.

Epi pens are purchased by prescription, BTW.

As for ventilating your hives, prop tops, never move forward nor backwards, you'll expose the hives to the elements. A little space goes a long way.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com