Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Capping and humidity  (Read 1472 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Capping and humidity
« on: July 09, 2008, 03:22:08 pm »
Last year i did my harvest last saturday and sunday in June. This year, I went out to apiary and attempted to remove the supers. They all had a majority of uncapped supers. I went out today and they still weren't capped hardly at all. The thought occurred to me that perhaps the huge amount of rain and intense humidity for almost all of spring and early summer has made it dificult to reduce the moisture. I use SBB, slatted rackes and vented tops which helps too. Just a thought.....Your thoughts.....
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Re: Capping and humidity
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 04:15:03 pm »
I agree with you on the humidity. when it rains here then steams in the morning follwed by afternoon monsoons then morning steam, well you get the picture.  my bees will leave totally drawn out full supers open and fan the dickens out of them attempting to get the humidity down. I don't think that helps you though.

Keith

Offline DrKurtG

• House Bee
    • My Bee Journal
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 07:12:29 pm »
Same here. I have two supers sitting on the hive that are chock full of honey but each frame is only 40% capped. Been that way for two weeks. I know...patience...patience...patience... :roll:

It's been a non-stop rain fest here in southwestern Virginia for what seems like ages! We need more than 1 hour of sunshine per day!  8-)

I friend and mentor of mine who has been a beekeep all of his life says that he thinks we're three weeks behind from last year.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 09:34:31 pm »
I think we are 3 weeks behind as well. I still have clover, which died the last week of june the first 2 yrs i kept bees. I have lots of clover still. Oddly enough, my mint and hyssop bloomed earlier, but bees are ignoring it b/c of clover. Loads od nectar in frames but unsealed going on 2 weeks now. I am conscerned they will start to move it back into brood area as summer marches on if it doesn't get capped soon.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

anything