Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: could this be normal?  (Read 2085 times)

Offline lrushton

• New Bee
could this be normal?
« on: February 25, 2009, 12:23:03 pm »
i just started last year with 2 hives(package). well 1 of my hives done extremely well and had 8 full frames of capped honey. i took 2 frames out just last week to help the other hive to come on up into 2ND body i put on. they were full in bottom body so i wanted to get them up. they would not move up in the fall i think because i put plasti-cell foundation over crimped wire. i poured sugar water on but they still would not move up. know like i said i got 2 frames of capped honey and put in that body. i want to give them a couple of more days before i go in to see if they are working in the top body. heres my dilemma. I've noticed over the last few days a lot of dead bees on the ground. some of them look like they've climbed the grass as high as they could but didn't have the strength to fly back in. I've also noticed some of them don't have fully developed wings or the others are chewing them off. i don't know. keep in mind I'm very new to this. 

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
Re: could this be normal?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:38:22 pm »
What did you treat your mites with last year.  Almost sounds like some house cleaning and/or some DWV.

Offline lrushton

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 01:02:23 pm »
i didn't treat. i have screened bottom board and from what i seen it didn't look like i needed to treat. i would like to stay away from all chemicals as long as i can. what is dwv? thanks for reply.

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 03:43:11 pm »
deformed wing virus which is brought on by mites.  Generally in todays bee world if you have malformed wings it is due to dwv.  If in fact it is dwv it may already be to late to treat.  I would generally expect to see this in late summer or fall, but if you did not treat last year I would imagine it would be possible for it this time of year.  It is also possible that the dead bees out front are also just the usual dead bees this time of year due to house cleaning, but when you mentioned deformed wings dwv is immediately what came to mind and is not a good thing.

Offline Maine_Beekeeper

• New Bee
    • Overland Apiaries
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 11:54:21 pm »
jdpro5010 -
You mentioned Screened Bottom Board.
What was your last mite drop count? (and when was that)
That will help a lot to figure out what is going on.
Best,
-Erin
EAS Master Beekeeper

Offline lrushton

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:42:57 am »
well that hive is eat up with them. don't know exact count(a lot). i was wondering if anyone knows where to get straight formic acid from? I'd like to do a flash treatment being mite away pads are not going to have enough time before it gets pretty warm here in S.C. i also read an article from the univ. of w.v. about wintergreen grease patti's.is anybody using this? this sucks, I've got my girls in trouble. i was really under the assumption from some other old time beekeepers in this area that if i left hives in direct sun light my numbers would probably never get out of hand. i ques that's why they call us newbee's, cause you really don't know what you're doing. any and all help appreciated.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 07:25:25 pm »
well that hive is eat up with them. don't know exact count(a lot). i was wondering if anyone knows where to get straight formic acid from? I'd like to do a flash treatment being mite away pads are not going to have enough time before it gets pretty warm here in S.C. i also read an article from the univ. of w.v. about wintergreen grease patti's.is anybody using this? this sucks, I've got my girls in trouble. i was really under the assumption from some other old time beekeepers in this area that if i left hives in direct sun light my numbers would probably never get out of hand. i ques that's why they call us newbee's, cause you really don't know what you're doing. any and all help appreciated.

The varroa mites will get out of hand weather or not the bees are in direct sunlight or not.  Direct sunlight is better because it inhibits the SHB which prefers shadded hives.  As for the mite, sugar shakes and drone cell destruction can do more for aiding the bees until they develop enough hygenic behavior for a manageable tolorence level to result.  If you use a capping fork on the drone cells after they are capped yet leave the disrupted brood cells in the hive it will help reinforce the hygenic behavior of the bees, shortening the tolorence level development time.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline lrushton

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 09:04:42 pm »
thanks Brian. i believe i can handle that.