Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How To Prepare A Whoppo (If You Can Catch Him)  (Read 4828 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: How To Prepare A Whoppo (If You Can Catch Him)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 09:11:03 am »
JP, a couple of great articles, I bookmarked the one about chopping up the duck.  MY method of chopping up is almost identical.  Except, I cut off the poops nose, I think that is where the oil glands are and I don't want oil in the duck when I cook it.  I generally cook a duck whole though,  I think that retains so much of the moisture.

These articles kept talking about the oil in the ducks.  The Muscovy ducks that we raise are practically oil less.  I am not kidding.  There is hardly any grease when they are cooked and the gravy is dark and very very flavourful.  Eeks, it is 5:00 A.M. and I am drooling here over duck.

I tried a regular duck once many years ago, and it so turned me off duck that I could not ever bear to eat it again.  When I cooked it I found that it was so oily that it was kind of revolting.  I probably did something wrong and if I had had these internet sites to look at way back then, the duck may have been very good, 27 years ago.

Anyways JP, weep and drool about Whoppo in the pan, he actually is becoming much more well behaved. He still comes over to me hissing, but now I think it is only a greeting because he goes away, hee, hee.  The two turkey hens make sure that he doesn't bug me any more too, I am protected, hee, hee.  Have a beautiful and wonderful day.  Cindi

Right, when I had made a post about when Whopppo was hissing at me through the fence and Abigail, the younger of the turkey hens intimidated him and he took off a few times, Angi responded that sometimes turkey hens will take the human into their flock and protect them.  I have seen this turkey hen and the other one too now, warding Whoppo away from me, making that strange sound and forcing him to go away, them hot on his tail.  He is obviously very intimidated by them and leaves.  It is a rather strange sensation to think that a turkey girl is protecting ya.  It makes me feel good, it makes me feel that the like me alot, and yes, I feel rather protected to say the least.

I was working in the chicken barn the other day and I could hear Whoppo coming in, I was kind of trapped in there and I knew that I might have to have a little fight with him if he decided to attack me.  He came over to where I was in the roosting part (I was fixing up some roosts to be in a different spot in there).  I could hear him a mile away (I am very aware of this dude and where he is).  He was hissing and hissing and when he came around the corner I just looked at him and he looked at me.  Then he let out the air in his lungs like that old wind bag and looked at me.  Well, wouldn't you know it.  In through the main door came Abigail.  She went straight over to him and started that weird noise, walking around and around him.  Nope he had enough of that he he immediately left the house, rather quickly.  I think that he felt kind of in a tight spot too, so off he went with Abigail hot on his tracks, her making that kind of purring sound, that is the only way to describe it, but it obviously bugs the crap out of Whoppo and away he went.  I said thank you to Abigail in my mind and I carried on.  Oh, just another day in the interesting life in the chickenyards.  C.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 10:35:11 am »
I'm glad you and whoppo are getting along better now that you have your bodyguard, the turkey to protect you. Now you know you will have to introduce that turkey to everyone as your bodyguard, right? Have the best celestial, euphoric, intense yet enlightening day from this planet we call earth.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 10:46:43 am »
JP, wow!!!  Well said, you have the best day too, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 10:49:06 am »
JP, wow!!!  Well said, you have the best day too, Cindi

Yep, holding out, holding out.

...JP

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 12:44:05 am »
Cindi you need to go to a bait store and buy that girl some meal worms. I grow them here and my guys all of them just love them. They make great treats for everyone. Especially when they have been good.

Angi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 01:06:27 am »
Angi, you know what?  I have heard of growing meal worms, and I am going to look into that as another part of farming here, is that also called vermiculture, like regular earth worms, hee, hee.

We used to feed meal worms to something that my Daughter's had as pets, can't recall what the devil it was, maybe a frog or something?  Can't remember.  Anyways, yes, we have pet stores that have them, I have seen them and I think I could raise them myself too.  When I intentionally go out in the chickenyards and dig up a whole whack of earth for them, they all go raving nuts into all the freshly turned earth and the shovelfuls that I throw for them to grub into.  Our soil is so soft and fertile, full or organic debris everywhere that there is always worms and bugs.  Our chickenyard critters have the time of their lives every day rummaging around in their areas, so much grass, wood, bugs, slugs, everthing imaginable.  It is the moist climate that makes for such high degrees of earthbound goodies for the fowls.

I have a massive compost pile (yes I have turned it over, I remember a post about the terrors of the compost piles) that I know soon the worms will be working by the millions.  I will have shovelfuls of that too to give for treats for all the barnyard critters.  Spring brings about the most wonderful things, above and below the earth.

BUT.....yes, I could really make good friends with even Whoppo if I gave him a few tastes of mealy worms now and then, hee, hee.  Another venue to get into, when we return from Vegas next week.  Just another day in the life.  Have a wonderful and most beautiful day, Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 01:12:28 am »
Cindi, if you grow worms, you do know that word will get out that you have them, right?

...JP

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 03:14:13 am »
   I was reading about someone growing meal worms in my Garden Solutions magazine.  Sounds like a deal since we have a lot of birds nesting near our house, including the basketball goal (robin) and rose bush, cardinal, and boxes in the back yard (bluebirds and assorted finches and hummingbirds in the trees.  They have found the hives and are lining up every day for a meal and when their youngsters arrive they will be even worse, including blackbirds, northern mockingbirds, ect... .   I figure fresh meal worms and they will have an easier prey.  It's worth a shot and growing my own will hopefully be cheaper than buying bulk...  Sorry, rambling again.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 11:21:53 am »
JP, hey, cool, cool, cool!!!  I just noticed that now you are titled "The Swarm King"!!!!  Good for you, you are the Master, hee, hee.  This is the funniest thing on earth. Yeah!!!!  Go and get those swarms and cutouts, JP, keep on keepin on.  Have the most beautiful and wonderfullest day, Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 11:27:24 am »
JP, hey, cool, cool, cool!!!  I just noticed that now you are titled "The Swarm King"!!!!  Good for you, you are the Master, hee, hee.  This is the funniest thing on earth. Yeah!!!!  Go and get those swarms and cutouts, JP, keep on keepin on.  Have the most beautiful and wonderfullest day, Cindi

Cindi, I believe Dallas is the one who gave us these names. You gotta watch him ya know! Glad you are having such a good time in Vegas! Thanks for stopping in, we all have to have our Cindi Fix, or we'll fall appart, thanks for throwing us some bones to suck on while you're away.

...JP

anything