Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Routers  (Read 3048 times)

Offline eejit

• New Bee
Routers
« on: January 25, 2006, 06:04:32 pm »
Hi, I was just wondering if it was was possible to build a hive using just a router. If so, what kind of router/size of bit would be necessary. I was thinking of building with box joints.

Cheers  :D

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Routers
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 08:34:45 pm »
You'll need some kind of saw.  But yes, you can use either a table saw or a router to make a rabbet for the frame rest and a rabbet for the corners. The table saw with a dada blade is easier.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Re: Routers
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 11:29:23 am »
Quote from: eejit
Hi, I was just wondering if it was was possible to build a hive using just a router. If so, what kind of router/size of bit would be necessary. I was thinking of building with box joints.

If you have an 8' or 10' or 12' piece of lumber, it is challenging to cut it to length with a router, but it can be done. So as Michael said, you will want to have some kind of saw on hand, even if it is a hand saw.

The rest can be done with only a router if that is the only power tool you own. The box joints (or rabbets if you prefer) for the corners of the boxes, the rabbets for the frame rests and even a nice "routed out" handle for the sides of the boxes can all be done with a router. Go with a bit sized for the box joints you want to make. You can use the same bit to do the rabbets by setting a fence the proper distance on a router table.

I do not recommend using the router to pound in the nails however! :wink:
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Routers
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 04:09:40 pm »
If your using a router, you may find half-blind dovetails are quicker and easier with a cheap jig than box joints (though there are jigs for routered box joints, but they are pricey). They also have less exposed end grains.

http://www.beemaster.com/beebbs/viewtopic.php?p=23610&highlight=#23610
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything