Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does Size Matter?  (Read 1218 times)

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
Does Size Matter?
« on: April 08, 2013, 07:14:51 pm »
Does the size of the queen cell matter when it comes to producing a good queen?  I found 6 different queen cells in two hives today and one or two seemed a good size but I thought the other 4 were a bit on the small side.  Two of the smaller ones were each on a frame by themselves, looked kind like superseedure cells.  And one frame had 4 capped queen cells, 2 on the very bottom and 2 up just a bit from the bottom.  I have a picture of the two largest cells but didn't get any pix of the smaller cells.

The real question is:  When it comes to queen cells, does size have anything to do with the quality of the queen?

linda d

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Does Size Matter?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 07:35:16 pm »
some say yes.  i think there was a discussion about that on here back awhile.  i'd say that if you are going to let them requeen, trust them to pick the best one.  better they choose, than you.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 08:13:49 pm »
First, did you take the queen away in a split? If not they might be about to swarm.

I honestly can't tell you yet if the size of the cell matters that much. I had about 20 or so grafted cells all emerge in the incubator back in Feb. and noticed that, even though a couple of the cells were quite small compared to the rest, the virgins were all the same size. The difference was how much royal jelly was left unconsumed in the cells after emergence. I suppose one could assume that the better fed they are before they pupate the better the queen but did the smaller cells have a lack of jelly or was is just enough? I talked with another queen breeder that has seen the same thing but neither of us has followed a small cell queen vs a larger cell queen through a generation to see if they made a difference in the end. We both agreed to experiment with this to see how things come out.

I know lots of beekeepers that remove small cells and leave the big ones.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 09:23:33 pm »
I had 6 queen cells that all came out of the same hive which I think is probably getting ready to swarm.  I was afraid to take all the queen cells away from this hive as I didn't see any more young brood/eggs so I think the queen has probably already stopped laying and if they go ahead and swarm, this hive could end up queenless if I stripped them of all the q cells.

I then put two of the q cells in with a new split I made from another hive (not the one that had all the queen cells), and I banked two more of the q cells in a nuc.  The two biggest cells went in the split, BUT when I got into the split to add the two q cells today, I noticed the 2-day-old split already had 3 more queen cups with what looked like royal jelly/eggs in them.  These queen cups with stuff in them were on a frame of eggs I had put in the split Saturday so they could make themselves a queen.  That was before I knew I had already capped queen cells in another hive. I was suprised the split built the 3 queen cups with stuff in them so fast as I know only the eggs, not the extended queen cups, were there when I did the split.  I wonder if the girls will build out the queen cups into mature queen cells now that they have 2 capped queen cells freshly added.

I asked about size as I was wondering whether the hive, the split or the nuc was going to end up with the best queen.  I guess time will tell.

Kathy, i will go back and try to find that other discussion/thread. Thanks.  LD
linda d

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 10:59:17 pm »
Kathy, i will go back and try to find that other discussion/thread. Thanks.  LD

it was way back and i don't remember the context.  sorry.  good luck finding it  :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 12:15:42 pm »
Kathy,
I did the search and did find several threads on the subject.  Like most bee issues, the opinions were all over the map. :shock:
ld
linda d