Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Watch me build an Observation Hive  (Read 52692 times)

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
Re: Watch me build an Observation Hive
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 09:54:43 pm »
Awesome, thanks Phill. Good luck with it, and keep us posted.

Offline cdevier

• New Bee
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2011, 04:44:24 pm »
 You did an excellent job in posting pictures and info.
  I now have all my parts cut for the main frame - I just ordered glass yesterday. I also picked out another rough-cut oak 2 x 8 and put it in the shop to equalize the moisture in it.  Tomorrow I will cut it up for the base.
  Again, thanks for the great instructions.
cdevier

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2011, 05:55:18 pm »
Thanks for the kind words cdevier. I'm glad that the posts were helpful to you, and it pleases me to hear that you are using it to make your own.

Feel free to post pictures/questions as you go.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2011, 05:19:32 pm »
Alright everyone, I made one last modification to the observation hive that I think you should be aware of. Not necessary, but if you are going to the trouble why not.

One of the main problems with an observation hive, is whenever you open them up to do regular maintenance, or move them, you have the potential of stressing them out to the point that they think their hive isn't suitable for their needs. So, just like an individual who is renting a crappy apartment when they can afford better, they move. I'm of course referring to absconding.

In the past I've just let them do their thing, if they liked their home after a tough move, a queen marking, or some regular maintenance, so be it. If they didn't I would be fine with them being happy some where else. Last summer I lost two hives to absconding. I'm done with it.

So I tried closing up the hive for a day or two, and giving them a chance to calm down and realize their home isn't so bad after all. This of course prevents a hive (who has few forager bees as it is) from getting pollen, nectar, water, propolis, and what not. But more importantly, one time I forgot to open it back up and remembered a week later.

So now I don't stop them from leaving, but I restrict the queen's movement for a few days through the use of a queen excluder at the entrance. This just makes sure that if the queen tries to leave, she'll be stopped most of the time, and I'm given the opportunity to fix the problem or they are given an opportunity to realize their home is some sweet digs. The queen excluder is NOT an attempt to prevent swarming, as it would be an ineffective attempt. I wished to incorporate the queen excluder into the observation hive, instead of taping it to the window as I've done before.

So I started with a 10 frame plastic excluder and cut a square out of it.

I then took the square, and trimmed a it down to a 1.5" circle. I then took the original sliding valve strip of wood that goes on the underside of the hive, and drilled a 1.5" hole below where the original entrance hole was. From there, I put the queen excluder circle in place and glued it with some Guerilla Glue.

The goal is if I wish to keep them in place, I slide the strip of wood so that no hole matches up with their normal entrance, blocking off the flow. If I want un restricted flow, I slide it so the unrestricted hole is in place. If I only want to restrict the queen, I slide it even further so that the queen excluder is in place.

I then moved the base and the stand over closer to the wall, attached a 45 degree pvc pipe to the pipe flange that was running through the stand, and attached a clear plastic hose to the pvc pipe. That of course goes to the wall, giving the ladies an entrance and exit.

Then, of course, moving the rest of it in place.

And last, but certainly not least, the weather was warm enough last weekend that I was able to stock it with some bees.

Ta Da!!!!!

Thanks for stopping by!

Offline phill

• House Bee
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2011, 04:13:01 pm »
At last I'm finished with my observation hive-- which, as you'll see, owes a lot to specialkayme's model. Thanks for the tips and encouragement!

Now all I need is bees. And since it's coming to the time when I'll want to split one of my hives, that should take care of itself.

I'd be happy to answer questions about the design. Give me a while, and I can also talk about the results.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2011, 11:14:05 am »
Very nice!

Might I ask if you built panels to cover up the sides? Being that close to the window, I would hate for the observation hive to turn into a solar wax melter. Plus, they seem to like the darkness more than the light.

Offline phill

• House Bee
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2011, 11:50:46 am »
I have some felt covers coming to put over the glass.

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2011, 12:44:20 pm »
Nice!

Offline James M. Wagner

• House Bee
    • Poor Hollow Bee Farm
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2011, 08:48:28 am »
Outstanding tutorial. Now if someone would post one like this of them building a robo-style bee vac. Thanks. -James
James M. Wagner

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2011, 09:47:07 am »
Lol, perhaps in time Dixie. I know eventually I'll need a bee vac, and I'm too cheap to buy one so . . .

That and a pollen trap. I can't find a reliable design ANYWHERE for one of those.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2011, 01:29:37 pm »
Sometimes I wonder if I'm typing all this stuff out for myself, or if anyone is actually benefitting from this. If nothing else, at least it is giving me "plans" to rebuild it, if I should ever need to (although it's all basically in my head anyway).

Special K,
Your plans are the best I have seen anywhere. I have been looking for a long time. I have been plained some black walnut and let it settle for a while. I started building it this past weekend. I'm using black walnut that a friend in Michigan gave me. He cut the trees down and had them sawed on site. It has been sitting for about 10 years. I think it will be perfect for this project.

I have 2 large sheets of tempered, shower door ,glass. Does anyone know if I can cut it like regular glass? Will it shatter when I try to cut it?
Thanks again for the plans.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2011, 10:58:35 pm »
I'm glad you could use the thread! Thanks so much for the kind words, it's taken several years to develop my design.

I would LOVE to have some older black walnut to work with. I've been reading about reclaimed wood, and have been trying to find some, but don't know where it is in my area.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about cutting glass. I have always had Home Depot or the glass supply company cut it for me. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2011, 11:09:13 pm »
I would LOVE to have some older black walnut to work with. I've been reading about reclaimed wood, and have been trying to find some, but don't know where it is in my area.

How much of it do you need?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2011, 08:11:48 am »
Lol, at the moment . . . none. I just started a new job and don't have the time to start a new woodworking project. I also don't really have any plans to build anything at the moment. But it was super nice of you to ask.

Hopefully at some point I'll be building something new. I might drop you a line to ask your advice at that point in time.

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2011, 12:42:25 pm »
I have 2 large sheets of tempered, shower door ,glass. Does anyone know if I can cut it like regular glass? Will it shatter when I try to cut it?

No you can't cut tempered glass. It will shatter.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2011, 11:11:58 pm »

No you can't cut tempered glass. It will shatter.
Thanks, I suspected it might, that is why I asked.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2011, 12:10:31 am »
I finished my observation hive. It is made from all black walnut, no stain, except for the black out panels.
Here are the pictures.  Thanks for the design Special K. I will be displaying it in the Jacksonville fair, in another 2 weeks, for our club display.
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/9950/dsc1079s.jpg
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2764/dsc1073a.jpg
Ben Franklin

Offline Country Heart

• House Bee
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2011, 03:03:25 am »
Wow, beautiful Sawdstmakr!  Congrat on your new hive.   :)

Now you just need to videocam it for those of us who need to live vicariously.

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2011, 10:32:46 am »
Way cool. I'd love to have something like that. Doubt the wife would allow it though.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2011, 12:50:41 pm »
Way cool. I'd love to have something like that. Doubt the wife would allow it though.

Yea, my wife kept saying that your not putting a hive in either house, while I was building it. The picture that you see is in the farm house. I put 2 frames of bees in it for the party. It was a big hit. Once she saw that it stays locked and can be taken out side to work on it it was OK. Now she will let me put it in our closed in patio. I just have to make a 8" stand to raise it up high enough above the corner table to allow the tube to come out of the bottom and I will drill a hole through the 4" x6" vertical beam between the windows.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:38:55 pm by sawdstmakr »
Ben Franklin