Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Watch me build an Observation Hive  (Read 52696 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Watch me build an Observation Hive
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2011, 12:52:38 pm »
Wow, beautiful Sawdstmakr!  Congrat on your new hive.   :)

Now you just need to videocam it for those of us who need to live vicariously.

Thats another project further down the road.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2011, 05:41:01 pm »
Looks great sawd. I'm glad you could use the plans!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2011, 10:19:07 pm »
Looks great sawd. I'm glad you could use the plans!

Thanks Special K,
I installed the OH in my closed in patio. I wasn't going to put any bees in it until spring but when I inspected my 3 hives I found one hive only had 2 frames of bees. I put them in it but only ended up with a 3rd of a frame of bees. They are holding there own so far. I started feeding them and the queen has been laying a few eggs. I have larva growing now. I saw 2 hive beetles, squished one between the plastic and a frame. the bees seem to be hanging in there. Hopefully they will start to grow in numbers.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2011, 11:40:19 pm »
Good luck with it.

I was in your shoes a few years ago. My bees didn't end up making it though. They just dwindled in numbers until they had a total population that could fit in the palm of my hand. It ended shortly after that though.

Offline wesleyb

• Brood
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2012, 10:04:04 am »
Thanks for all the pictures and instructions. I am thinking about making an observation hive and will likely use at least some of your ideas, although I would prefer a wall-mounted hive.

One question: are the spindles necessary to stabilize the unit or are they only decorative?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2012, 12:35:49 pm »
Good luck with it.

I was in your shoes a few years ago. My bees didn't end up making it though. They just dwindled in numbers until they had a total population that could fit in the palm of my hand. It ended shortly after that though.
Just an update:
This queen held on, I probably had 60 bees left taking care of her. About a month ago I gave her a frame of brood and eggs and shook an egg frame to add the nurse bees. They built up very nicely, she started laying eggs the very next day, after they released her from what turned out to be a protective ball of bees. I had put a news paper divider below the new frame but at the last minute before I closed it up she got above into the new bees. She continued to fill every void with eggs in that frame. 2 weeks ago, I split my main hive and put her in a large queen cage that I built and 3 days later they had totally accept  her. I check her this weekend and she is laying solid brood patterns. She had one frame with a nice capped brood around the outside and a football size area in the middle that had every cell filled with eggs.
I left the OBH queen less and have been documenting what is happening. But that is for another thread.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline mgzavri

• Brood
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2015, 08:41:25 am »
Thank you so much for posting this! I want to make my own observation hive and this helped break down the process in more manageable chunks. Thanks for sharing this.

Offline ExDiscipuloApesMel

• Brood
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2018, 11:27:46 pm »
The Photobucket pictures icons say "Photobucket 3rd party hosting has been temporarily disabled." Anyone know how to view and save the photos?

anything